Spend your first day on campus as a Smith Terp! If you’re a driven, inquisitive student committed to being an active participant and leader, then consider a direct application to Maryland Smith. Applying to Smith does not require a separate application — simply mark business (or one of our eight business majors) as your intended major, and your application will then be considered for admission to Smith.
By applying to the Smith School as a freshman, you’ll have direct access to Smith advising and valuable programs like Smith Start.
Admission to the Smith School is based on a holistic process. We are searching for a diverse, engaged, and academically talented pool of students. For more information about what our admissions team is looking for, consult our admissions review requirements.
- Complete this form to receive more information about the Smith Undergraduate Program and future prospective student events!
- Follow us on social media: Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, Twitter.
- For any Smith Business questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you have any general University admissions questions, you can speak with an admission counselor by visiting the Admissions Office on the ground floor of the Mitchell Building or call the Admissions Office at 301-314-8377, Monday-Friday from 11 a.m.–4 p.m.
- Rising high school sophomores through seniors are encouraged to also explore our high school programs to learn more about engaging with Smith while still in high school!
- Attend a virtual or in-person information session.
- Attend the University of Maryland's Discover Maryland Day.
Are you a high school student starting to think about college? Are you thinking business might be the right degree for you? If so, register today for one of our Smith Fridays to learn more about the Robert H. Smith School of Business at the University of Maryland, College Park.
During each Smith Friday you, and your family, will have the opportunity to meet with current faculty, staff, and students, participate in a college information session and specific prospective student and family Q&A sessions, and tour the home of the Smith School, Van Munching Hall.
|March 29, 2024
|9 a.m. to Noon
|Register to attend
|May 17, 2024
|9 a.m. to Noon
|Register to attend
Here’s how to apply directly to the Smith School of Business:
- Start your application to the University of Maryland in early August of your senior year of high school.
- Mark “business” or one of our eight academic majors (accounting, finance, information systems, international business, management, marketing, operations management or supply chain management) as your intended major. If you do not indicate business as your intended major, you will not be considered for direct admission to the Smith School of Business.
- Finish and submit your application by November 1 for best consideration. Applying by the priority deadline not only provides you with an earlier notification, but you are eligible for admission to the University of Maryland’s living-learning programs and best consideration for financial aid.
- You can also apply by January 20; however, you will not be considered for living-learning programs and may have limited financial aid packages.
- You must commit to the University of Maryland by May 1.
- November 1, 2023 (Early Action)
- January 20, 2024 (Regular Decision)
What if I’m interested in majoring in two Limited Enrollment Programs (LEPs)?
Students cannot double major until after their first semester. Students interested in double majoring in two LEPs will need to complete the requirements for the other LEP and internally apply.
What if I didn’t mark business on my application and want to be considered for Smith?
If a student did not mark down business in their application, they can email ApplyMaryland@umd.edu before November 1 to indicate they would like to be considered for Smith Admission. After November 1, students will have to consider transfer admission into Smith.
Does applying as a business major determine if I am admitted to the University of Maryland?
No. When we review applications, we first review applications on a major-blind basis, determining your admission to the University of Maryland. If you are admitted to the University, then your admission to Smith is considered. Therefore, it is possible you can be admitted to the University of Maryland but not the Smith School of Business.
Can I transfer to the business school if I am not admitted as a direct freshman?
If you do not receive direct admission to the Smith School, you can apply as a transfer student. A student can apply for transfer admission in the semester in which they earn 45 credits and our gateway courses. Please see our Limited Enrollment Program fact sheet for more details.
Out-of-State @ Smith
7:00 PM EST
Major Exploration @ Smith
7:00 PM EST