The Robert H. Smith School of Business strives to recognize alumni and champions whose achievements have significantly and positively affected business, society, and the Robert H. Smith School of Business. The individuals nominated for these awards not only uphold the mission, vision, and values of the Robert H. Smith School of Business, but they inspire future generations of students, alumni, and champions of the Smith School. Alumni and champions will be recognized at three different levels: Rising Stars, Trailblazers, and Distinguished Alumni.
The Rising Star award would highlight young alumni who demonstrate a consistently high level of professional achievement at an early stage in their professional journey.
The Rising Star honorees are individuals who ideally:
- Have 5-10 years of industry experience post-Smith
- Demonstrate a consistently high level of professional achievement through contributions
- Are at an early stage in their professional journey and career
- Actively engage and support Robert H. Smith School of Business programming
The Trailblazer award honorees are mid-level professionals who have demonstrated innovation and vision toward the outcome of initiatives, programs, approaches, and products.
Trailblazer honorees are individuals who ideally:
- Have 10-20 years of industry experience post-Smith
- Demonstrate innovation and vision towards the outcome of initiatives, programs, approaches, and products
- Embody entrepreneurial spirit to shape their own paths in the business community
- Desire to significantly and positively affect society, through business, public service, philanthropy, civic engagement, innovation and entrepreneurship, and/or creating societal value
The Distinguished Alumni award will be presented to individuals who serve as inspirational models through their professional endeavors and commit themselves to bettering the Smith community.
Distinguished Alumni honorees are individuals who ideally:
- Have 20+ years of industry experience post Smith
- Exemplify the values of the Robert H. Smith School of Business
- Commit themselves to bettering the Smith School network through efforts of philanthropy, coaching, hiring etc.
- Serve as an inspirational model for the Smith community through their professional endeavors
To be eligible for an award, nominations must be received no later than March 2, 2023*. To nominate an individual, please use the form on this page. You may also email SmithHallofFame@umd.edu with any questions.
*Nominations received after this date will be considered for the 2023-24 award. Nominators may be contacted for up to three years to invite them to re-nominate anyone nominated but not selected in the previous cycle.