Ilya Ryzhov Directory Page
Associate Professor of Management Science and Operations Management
Ph.D., Princeton University
I am an Associate Professor in the Department of Decision, Operations, and Information Technologies at the Robert H. Smith School of Business, University of Maryland. I have a joint appointment with the Institute for Systems Research at UMD. I received my Ph.D. from Princeton University in 2011. I am a co-author (with W.B. Powell) of the book Optimal Learning, available on Amazon.
I work in the general area of business analytics, encompassing topics in optimization, probability, and statistics. More specifically, my research deals with decision-making under uncertainty, often with the additional dimension of information collection. Much of this work is theoretical and methodological, but I have also worked on applications in humanitarian/nonprofit operations, medical decision-making, revenue management, and transportation. Please see my homepage for more information.
- Associate Editor, Operations Research, 2018-present.
- Associate Editor, IISE Transactions, 2018-present.
- Co-editor, Proceedings of the 2014 Winter Simulation Conference.
- Winner, Outstanding Paper Award, INFORMS Urban Transportation SIG, 2020.
- Finalist, Best Paper Award, POMS College of Humanitarian Operations and Crisis Management, 2019.
- Winner, Outstanding Publication Award, INFORMS Simulation Society, 2017.
- Winner, Glover-Klingman Prize, 2015.
- Finalist, INFORMS Junior Faculty Forum Paper Competition, 2014.
- 3x Distinguished Teaching Award, Robert H. Smith School of Business, 2017-2019.
The Smith School is happy to welcome the following new professors to the school:Accounting & Information Assurance
A New Way To Make Better Pricing Decisions
New Research Creates Framework for Better Machine Learning