Short-term funding markets provide essential short-tenor financing for banks, dealers, and nonfinancial firms. They also play a central role in monetary policy transmission. These markets have experienced substantial funding stress and investor runs during the 07-09 financial crisis and the recent Covid-19 market turmoil, destabilizing the financial markets and beyond.
This conference aims to bring together researchers, regulators and others interested in related topics, with a broad interest in liquidity transformation and funding provision by banks, dealers and money market funds, as well as structure and network of short-term funding markets.
The conference theme is broadly defined. Relevant topics include, but are not limited to:
- Maturity transformation and liquidity management by banks, broker-dealers, money market mutual funds, or other financial intermediaries
- Frictions and fragility in short-term funding markets
- Effects of regulation and central bank intervention on funding markets
- How short-term funding markets affect capital structure and other corporate finance decisions
- Money creation and the demand for safe assets
- Fintech and encrypted currency