Michael Trusov is Associate Professor of Marketing at the Robert H. Smith School of Business at the University of Maryland. He received his Ph.D. degree from the Anderson School of Management at UCLA. He also holds a Master's degree in Computer Science and a Master's degree in Business Administration.
His research interests include Internet Marketing (social media marketing, search engine marketing, social networks, clickstream analysis, electronic word-of-mouth marketing, e-commerce, recommendation systems, consumer-generated content), Text Analysis, Eye-tracking and Data Mining.
Professor Trusov has extensive industry experience. He spent seven years working in the area of software development and IT consulting in the Southern California region, specializing in marketing automation, database management, Internet applications, and e-commerce.
He is teaching Internet and Social Media Marketing at the University of Maryland.
Honors and Awards
- Finalist, William F. O'Dell Award, 2016
- Winner, William F. O'Dell Award, 2015
- Emerald Management Reviews Citation of Excellence, Top 35 Most Cited Management Articles from the past 15 years (chosen out of 200,000+ articles), 2014
- Journal of Marketing, Top 10 Articles with the most impact on marketing practice, 2014
- Journal of Marketing Research, Top 10 Articles with the most impact on marketing practice (2004 to 2012), 2014
- Named as one of Top 50 Most Productive Researchers in Marketing, 2009-2013 (AMA DocSIG, 2013), 2013
- Ranked among the top 50 most productive researchers for 2009-2013 (AMA's DocSig Author Research Productivity), 2013
- Finalist, Frank M. Bass Award, 2013
- MSI Young Scholar, 2013
- Winner, SMA Emerging Scholar Award, 2011
- Winner, Donald R. Lehmann Award, 2011
- Finalist, IJRM Best Paper Award, 2011
- Winner, Paul E. Green Award, 2011
- Top 15% Teaching Award, Robert H. Smith School of Business, 2010
- Winner, Emerald Management Reviews Citation of Excellence Award, 2010
- Runner-up, MSI/H. Paul Root Award, 2009
- Finalist, Harold H. Maynard Award, 2009
- Winner, MSI's Alden Clayton Doctoral Dissertation Competition, 2006
- Zhang, Yuchi, Trusov, Michael, Stephen, Andrew T., and Jamal, Zainab (2017), "Online Shopping and Social Media: Friend or Foe?" Journal of Marketing, forthcoming.
- Rutz, Oliver, Garrett P. Sonnier and Michael Trusov (2017), "A New Method to Aid Copy Testing of Paid Search Text Advertisements," Journal of Marketing Research, forthcoming.
- Trusov, Michael, Liye Ma and Zainab Jamal (2016), “Crumbs of the Cookie: User Profiling in Customer-Base Analysis and Behavioral Targeting,“ Marketing Science, (special issue on Big Data), 35(3), pp. 405-426.
- Trusov, Michael, William Rand and Yogesh V. Joshi (2013), “Improving Prelaunch Diffusion Forecasts: Using Synthetic Networks as Simulated Priors,” Journal of Marketing Research, December, Vol. 50, Issue 6.
- Rutz, Oliver and Michael Trusov (2011), “Zooming In on Paid Search Ads – A Consumer-level Model Calibrated on Aggregated Data,” Marketing Science, September/October, 30: 789-800
- Rutz, Oliver, Michael Trusov and Randolph E. Bucklin (2011), “Modeling Indirect Effects of Paid Search Advertising: Which Keywords Lead to More Future Visits?” Marketing Science, July/August, 30:646-665.
- Moe, Wendy W. and Michael Trusov (2011), “The Value of Social Dynamics in Online Product Ratings Forums,” Journal of Marketing Research, June, Vol. 48, No. 3: 444-456.
- Decker, Reinhold and Michael Trusov (2010), “Estimating Aggregate Consumer Preferences from Online Product Reviews,” International Journal of Research in Marketing, Lead Article, Vol. 27 (4), 293-307.
- Trusov, Michael, Anand Bodapati and Randolph E. Bucklin (2010), “Determining Influential Users in Internet Social Networks,” Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 47 (4), 643-658.
- Trusov, Michael, Randolph E. Bucklin and Koen Pauwels (2009), “Effects of Word-of-Mouth Versus Traditional Marketing: Findings from an Internet Social Networking Site,” Journal of Marketing, Vol. 73 (September 2009), 90-102.