Michael Trusov is Professor of Marketing at the Robert H. Smith School of Business at the University of Maryland. He is also the Academic Director of the MS in Marketing Analytics program. He received his Ph.D. degree from the Anderson School of Management at UCLA. He also holds a Master's degree in Computer Science and a Master's degree in Business Administration.
His research interests include Internet Marketing (social media marketing, search engine marketing, social networks, clickstream analysis, electronic word-of-mouth marketing, e-commerce, recommendation systems, consumer-generated content), Text Analysis, Eye-tracking and Data Mining.
Professor Trusov has extensive industry experience. He spent seven years working in the area of software development and IT consulting in the Southern California region, specializing in marketing automation, database management, Internet applications, and e-commerce.
He teaches Digital Marketing and Digital Analytics courses across various programs at the University of Maryland.
Honors and Awards
- MSI Scholar, 2020
- Finalist, INFORMS Society for Marketing Science Long Term Impact Award (LTI Award), 2020
- Winner, CBSIG (AMA Consumer Behavior Group) Research in Practice Award, 2020
- Finalist, JM MSI/H. Paul Root Award, 2017
- Finalist, William F. O'Dell Award, 2016
- Winner, William F. O'Dell Award, 2015
- Emerald Management Reviews Citation of Excellence, Top 35 Most Cited Management Articles from the past 15 years (chosen out of 200,000+ articles), 2014
- Journal of Marketing, Top 10 Articles with the most impact on marketing practice, 2014
- Journal of Marketing Research, Top 10 Articles with the most impact on marketing practice (2004 to 2012), 2014
- Named as one of Top 50 Most Productive Researchers in Marketing, 2009-2013 (AMA DocSIG, 2013), 2013
- Ranked among the top 50 most productive researchers for 2009-2013 (AMA's DocSig Author Research Productivity), 2013
- Finalist, Frank M. Bass Award, 2013
- MSI Young Scholar, 2013
- Winner, SMA Emerging Scholar Award, 2011
- Winner, Donald R. Lehmann Award, 2011
- Finalist, IJRM Best Paper Award, 2011
- Winner, Paul E. Green Award, 2011
- Top 15% Teaching Award, Robert H. Smith School of Business, 2010
- Winner, Emerald Management Reviews Citation of Excellence Award, 2010
- Runner-up, MSI/H. Paul Root Award, 2009
- Finalist, Harold H. Maynard Award, 2009
- Winner, MSI's Alden Clayton Doctoral Dissertation Competition, 2006
Chen, Xi, Ralf van der Lans and Michael Trusov (2020), “Efficient Estimation of Network Games of Incomplete Information: Application to Large Online Social Networks,” Management Science, accepted.
Shi, Savannah Wei and Michael Trusov (2020), "The Path to Click: Are You On It?" Marketing Science, forthcoming.
Mejia, Jorge, Anand Gopal and Michael Trusov (2020), "Deal or No Deal? Online Deals, Retailer Heterogeneity and Brand Evaluations in the Competitive Environment," Information Systems Research, forthcoming.
Kim, Chul, P.K. Kannan, Michael Trusov and Andrea Ordanini (2019), "Modeling Dynamics in Crowdfunding," Marketing Science, Vol. 39(2), pp.339–365.
Watson, Jared, Pocheptsova Ghosh, Anastasiya, and Michael Trusov (2018), “Swayed by the Numbers: The Consequences of Displaying Product Review Attributes,” Journal of Marketing, Vol. 82(6), 109-131.
Yuchi Zhang, Michael Trusov, Andrew T. Stephen, and Zainab Jamal (2017) Online Shopping and Social Media: Friends or Foes?. Journal of Marketing: November 2017, Vol. 81, No. 6, pp. 24-41.
Oliver J. Rutz, Garrett P. Sonnier, and Michael Trusov (2017) A New Method to Aid Copy Testing of Paid Search Text Advertisements. Journal of Marketing Research: December 2017, Vol. 54, No. 6, pp. 885-900.
Trusov, Michael, Liye Ma and Zainab Jamal (2016), “Crumbs of the Cookie: User Profiling in Customer-Base Analysis and Behavioral Targeting,“ Marketing Science, (special issue on Big Data), 35(3), pp. 405-426.
Trusov, Michael, William Rand and Yogesh V. Joshi (2013), “Improving Prelaunch Diffusion Forecasts: Using Synthetic Networks as Simulated Priors,” Journal of Marketing Research, December, Vol. 50, Issue 6.
Rutz, Oliver and Michael Trusov (2011), “Zooming In on Paid Search Ads – A Consumer-level Model Calibrated on Aggregated Data,” Marketing Science, September/October, 30: 789-800
Rutz, Oliver, Michael Trusov and Randolph E. Bucklin (2011), “Modeling Indirect Effects of Paid Search Advertising: Which Keywords Lead to More Future Visits?” Marketing Science, July/August, 30:646-665.
Moe, Wendy W. and Michael Trusov (2011), “The Value of Social Dynamics in Online Product Ratings Forums,” Journal of Marketing Research, June, Vol. 48, No. 3: 444-456.
Decker, Reinhold and Michael Trusov (2010), “Estimating Aggregate Consumer Preferences from Online Product Reviews,” International Journal of Research in Marketing, Lead Article, Vol. 27 (4), 293-307.
Trusov, Michael, Anand Bodapati and Randolph E. Bucklin (2010), “Determining Influential Users in Internet Social Networks,” Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 47 (4), 643-658.
Trusov, Michael, Randolph E. Bucklin and Koen Pauwels (2009), “Effects of Word-of-Mouth Versus Traditional Marketing: Findings from an Internet Social Networking Site,” Journal of Marketing, Vol. 73 (September 2009), 90-102.