MEDIA ALERT: March 12, 2012
For business, entrepreneurship and higher education reporters, editors and producers
UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND ENTREPRENEURSHIP INVITATIONAL SHOWCASES INNOVATION, BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT WITH SEVENTH ANNUAL CUPID’S CUP BUSINESS COMPETITION
Md. Gov. Martin O’Malley, Under Armour CEO Kevin Plank to Keynote
The Dingman Center for Entrepreneurship at the University of Maryland’s Robert H. Smith School of Business will host the UMD Entrepreneurship Invitational, featuring the Seventh Annual Cupid’s Cup business competition, on Friday, March 30, at its College Park campus.
The daylong event begins with the launch of Startup Maryland, a statewide initiative supported by the Startup America Partnership to grow startup ecosystems. Following the launch, the 5th annual BB&T Business Invitational will showcase UMD and Washington-Baltimore region startups, entrepreneurship resources and economic development organizations. The day will culminate with the Cupid’s Cup Business Competition, where student and alumni entrepreneurs pitch their businesses for $25,000 in prizes. Maryland Governor Martin O’Malley will deliver a keynote address. Under Armour founder and CEO Kevin Plank, the competition’s sponsor, will also speak and judge the finalists, along with a panel of other veteran entrepreneurs and business leaders including Rob McGovern, chairman and CEO of Jobfox and founder of CareerBuilder.com. The event is free and open to the public. Additional information, including a full agenda, is available at www.cupidscup.com.
What: University of Maryland Entrepreneurship Invitational featuring Cupid’s Cup business competition
When: Friday, March 30, 2012
- 10 a.m.-Noon — Startup Maryland launch event, Prince George’s Room
- Noon-2 p.m. — 5th Annual BB&T Business Invitational Showcase, Colony Ballroom
- 2-4 p.m. — Cupid’s Cup Business Competition, Hoff Theater
Where: Stamp Student Union, University of Maryland, College Park
Cupid’s Cup Schedule:
- 2 p.m. – Business pitch finals
- 3 p.m. – Maryland Governor Martin O’Malley
- 3:30 p.m. – Kevin Plank ’96, Founder and CEO of Under Armour
Cupid’s Cup finalists:
- Food Safety Administration, provider of online courses for food service professionals required to earn food and alcohol safety certifications
- National Recreation Athletics, organizers of sports leagues enhanced by off-the-field digital and social media experiences
- Reed Street Productions, operators of Run for Your Lives, a zombie themed adventure race attracting thousands of participants
- Route One Apparel, an e-commerce platform for creative apparel designed by students
- Visisonics, a UMD spinout that enables realistic 3D audio for music, movies and gaming in standard headphones
Event host: Dingman Center for Entrepreneurship at the Robert H. Smith School of Business.
Media Contact: Greg Muraski, email@example.com; office phone: 301-405-5283, mobile: 301-892-0973