Undergraduate student Jason Woods, class of 2022, majoring in marketing, writes about the Sports and Entertainment Business program.
To have a career in sports and entertainment, you don’t have to be a star player or a tour-de-force actor; these industries rely on their professionals in management, law, marketing, and leadership as much as an athlete or performer. There are thousands of positions available for people with the right skills – they just have to be willing to take the opportunity.
The Robert H. Smith School of Business’s Sports and Entertainment Business Program (SEBP) is a two-week summer program centered around helping high school students develop the skills they’ll need for their futures while exploring the sports and entertainment industries. Their time will be spent interacting with not only working professionals, but undergraduate students, university faculty members, and each other in activities and experiences designed to push them out of their comfort zones.
Explore possible careers and passions by learning from industry professionals from a variety of positions and visiting different sites throughout the Washington D.C. metropolitan area and beyond.
- Students will learn from speakers working in a variety of fields, from sports journalism to show production, in interactive classroom experiences that will allow students to apply the skills they learn to real-world scenarios.
- Educational trips to a variety of locations will provide a fun and valuable chance for students to immerse themselves in the environments and cultures of real sports and entertainment companies; last year’s group went to the Major League Soccer HQ in New York!
Develop skills that will help them navigate not only the world of sports and entertainment but whatever career they decide to pursue.
- Our program is designed to cultivate the skills students will need in the modern workplace, such as adaptability, initiative, communication, and problem-solving.
- A final team-based competition at the intersection of sports, entertainment, and business will force students to use all the skills they have learned to solve a real-world problem.
Connect with professionals, college students, and their peers to form relationships that last beyond the time they’ll be with us at Smith.
- Students will forge bonds by working together in the classroom, and strengthen their relationships during downtime activities such as karaoke, movie nights, and making s’mores.
- Day trips to cities and parks, while being educational, will also allow students to engage in fun, memorable experiences together.
- Opportunities to interact with professionals in sports and entertainment will allow students to start building their network for the future.
Following your passion does not have to be risky. Through the Smith Sports and Entertainment Business Program, students can hone in on what their goals are, work on their weaknesses, and develop the skills they need to thrive – all while experiencing college life on campus and forging lasting friendships.
If you’re interested, you can sign up for our 2020 High School Summer Program interest group, or find out more about the program – including sample schedules, more student testimonials, and information on payment.
“SEBP gave me a lot of insight into what I want to do with my life; before, I was going a different route, like computer science. The program gets you to consider a bunch of fields and careers that you wouldn’t have otherwise, and it definitely helped a lot of us. I found out that I’m really passionate about business and the sports industry, and that guidance is really valuable.” – Gabby Chiericoni
“This program definitely exceeded my expectations! I thought it was going to be more strictly academic, but the classroom sessions were very interactive – more than just lectures – and that helped a lot. The teambuilding helped a lot too; from day one, after the ropes course, we were like one big family. We actually started a group chat with everyone in it, and I honestly don’t think it’ll die down any time soon!” – Victorious Earth