The COVID-19 pandemic has upended many aspects of our lives, but Maryland Smith wants to help you keep your career ambitions on track – now making it easier to apply for its full-time and part-time MBA programs, even without a GMAT or GRE score.
Maryland Smith is providing candidates an opportunity to bypass the GMAT/GRE requirement for full-time and part-time MBA applications, as it did when the pandemic began – this time extending it for the 2021-2022 academic year.
“The GMAT or GRE is an important assessment, but we review candidates holistically,” says Pasquale Quintero, senior director of full-time MBA and business master's programs at the University of Maryland’s Robert H. Smith School of Business. “We will take into consideration academic history, work experience, industry certifications, and other factors that will strengthen one's application.”
Graduate-level business education unlocks a vast opportunity for candidates who wish to transition or enhance their career prospects, adds Shelbi Brookshire, senior director of MBA Working Professionals Recruiting. Maryland Smith offers students a chance to grow and retool their skills to convert data into insight, preparing them to lead in the quickly evolving business landscape.
“We care deeply about helping candidates through the challenges caused by the COVID-19 outbreak,” Quintero says. “We are honored to be a school of choice for individuals, and we look forward to welcoming future Terps to Maryland Smith.”
To qualify for the GMAT/GRE waiver, prospective MBA students must meet one of the following criteria:
- Industry certifications such as CFA, CPA, CAP, PMP, PHR, PE, or Six Sigma; with a minimum GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale
- Other exams such as MCAT or LSAT, with overall scores in the 70th percentile or greater
- Earned graduate or terminal degree in business or STEM related field; with a minimum GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale
- Earned undergraduate degree, equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s, from an accredited university or college with:
- GPA of 3.2 or higher on a 4.0 scale, or Degree Classification of First Class or First Class with Distinction
- 3 years of professional work experience
- Completion of undergraduate coursework in statistics or other quantitative courses, with a grade of B or higher
- Employer sponsorship. Candidates who are recommended by their employer for the Full-Time or Part-Time MBA program may qualify for a GMAT/GRE waiver
- Active duty military members or veterans with the G.I. Bill may also be eligible for GMAT/GRE waiver
–This article has been updated to reflect the latest decisions on GMAT/GRE waivers.
Media Relations Manager
About the University of Maryland's Robert H. Smith School of Business
The Robert H. Smith School of Business is an internationally recognized leader in management education and research. One of 12 colleges and schools at the University of Maryland, College Park, the Smith School offers undergraduate, full-time and flex MBA, executive MBA, online MBA, business master’s, PhD and executive education programs, as well as outreach services to the corporate community. The school offers its degree, custom and certification programs in learning locations in North America and Asia.