Ralph J. Tyser Professor of Marketing Science | Chair, Department of Marketing
P. K. Kannan is the Ralph J. Tyser Professor of Marketing Science at the Robert H. Smith School of Business at the University of Maryland, and he is the Chair of the Department of Marketing. His current research stream focuses on new product/service development, design and pricing digital products and product lines, marketing and product development on the Internet, e-service, and customer relationship management (CRM) and customer loyalty. He has received several grants from National Science Foundation (NSF), Mellon Foundation, SAIC, and PricewaterhouseCoopers for his work in this area and research papers have been published in Marketing Science, Management Science, Journal of Marketing Research, Journal of Marketing, and Communications of the ACM. His research has also won the prestigious John Little Best Paper Award (2008) and the INFORMS Society for Marketing Science Practice Prize Award (2007). His research has also been selected as a finalist for the Paul Green Award (2008). Dr. Kannan was a panelist in the NSF Workshop on Research Priorities in e-Commerce (1998) and a Fellow of the AMA Consortium on e-Commerce (2001).
Dr. Kannan serves on the editorial boards of the Marketing Science, Journal of Marketing, Journal of Service Research, and International Journal of Electronic Commerce. Dr. Kannan has served as the Chair for the American Marketing Association SIG on Marketing Research.
His teaching interests include marketing modeling, pricing, customer relationship management, new product development, and Internet retailing. He has taught these courses in executive programs for Black & Decker, Home Depot, ARINC, McCormick, and Northrup Grumman. He has corporate experience with Tata Engineering and Ingersoll-Rand and has consulted for companies such as Frito-Lay, Pepsi Co, Giant Food, Black and Decker, SAIC, Fannie Mae, and IBM.
Honors and Awards
- Donald R. Lehmann Award, 2009, (co-author and dissertation chair), awarded by the American Marketing Association Marketing Research SIG for the Best Dissertation-Based Research Article in JMR or JM for the April 2008 Journal of Marketing Research article, “Incorporating Subjective Characteristics in Product Design and Evaluations,” (with Lan Luo and Brian Ratchford).
- John D. C. Little Award, 2008, for the Best Paper in Marketing Science, Management Science for year 2007, for the paper “New Product Development under Channel Acceptance” (with Lan Luo and Brian Ratchford)
- INFORMS Society in Marketing Science Practice Prize Award, 2007, for the paper, “Pricing Digital Content Product Lines: A Model and Application for the National Academies Press,” (with Barbara Kline Pope and Sanjay Jain). Follow this link to see a video clip of award winning presentation.
- Finalist, Paul Green Award, 2009, for the best paper in Journal of Marketing Research in year 2008 for the paper “Incorporating Subjective Characteristics in Product Design and Evaluations” (with Lan Luo and Brian Ratchford)
- Harvey Sanders Professorship, The Robert H. Smith School of Business, 2004-2008
- Safeway Fellow, The Robert H. Smith School of Business, University of Maryland, 1999 – 2004
- Allan J. Krowe Award for Teaching Excellence, May 2001
- Top 15% Teaching Award, Robert H. Smith School of Business, 2000, 2008
- NSF Grants, 2007-2010, 2002-2005
Kannan, P. K., Barbara Kline Pope, Sanjay Jain (2009), “Pricing Digital Content Product Lines: A Model and Application for the National Academies Press,” Marketing Science, Lead Article, Vol. 28, No. 4, July-August, (2009) pp. 620-636.
(Winner of the INFORMS Society of Marketing Science Practice Prize Competition, 2007)
The award winning presentation may be seen at this link: http://techtv.mit.edu/collections/isms:1133/videos/7128-national-academies-press
Bezawada, Ram, S. Balachandar, P. K. Kannan and Venky Shankar (2009),“Cross-Category Effects of Aisle and Display Placements: A Spatial Modeling Approach and Insights,” Journal of Marketing. Vol. 73, Iss. 3, p. 99-117.
Luo, Lan, P. K. Kannan, and Brian Ratchford (2008), "Incorporating Subjective Characteristics in Product Design and Evaluations," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 45, Iss. 2, p.182-194.
(Donald Lehmann Award, 2009, for the best dissertation-based article in JMR or JM.) (Finalist for the Paul Green Award for the year 2008.)
Luo, Lan, P. K. Kannan, and Brian Ratchford (2007), "New Product Development under Channel Acceptance," Marketing Science, Lead Article, Vol. 26, No. 2, p.149-163.
(Winner of the John D. C. Little Award for the Best Paper in Marketing Science, Management Science for the year 2007.)
Jain, Sanjay and P. K. Kannan, (2002), "Pricing of Information Products on Online Servers: Issues, Models, and Analysis," Management Science, Vol. 48, No. 9, September, pp. 1123-1143.
Kannan, P. K. and Susan Sanchez, (1994), "Competitive Market Structures: A Subset Selection Analysis,"Management Science, Vol. 40, No.11, pp. 1484-1499.
McCarthy, Patrick , P. K. Kannan, R. Chandrasekharan, and Gordon Wright, (1992), "Estimating Loyalty and Switching with an Application to the Automobile Market," Management Science, Vol. 38, No. 10 (October), pp. 1371-1394.
Kannan, P. K. and Gordon P. Wright, (1991), "On Testing Competitive Market Structures", Marketing Science, Vol. 10, No. 4, pp. 338-347.
Kannan, P. K. and Gordon P. Wright, (1991), "Modeling and Testing Structured Markets: A Nested Logit Approach", Marketing Science, Vol. 10, No. 1 (Winter), pp. 58-82.