Ralph J. Tyser Professor of Marketing Science | Chair, Department of Marketing
P. K. Kannan is the Ralph J. Tyser Professor of Marketing Science at the Robert H. Smith School of Business at the University of Maryland, and he is the Chair of the Department of Marketing. His main research focus is on marketing modeling, applying statistical and econometric methods to marketing data. His current research stream focuses on attribution modeling, media mix modeling, new product/service development and customer relationship management (CRM).. He has received several grants from National Science Foundation (NSF), Mellon Foundation, SAIC, and PricewaterhouseCoopers for his work in this area and research papers have been published in Marketing Science, Management Science, Journal of Marketing Research, and Journal of Marketing. His research has also won the prestigious John Little Best Paper Award (2008) and the INFORMS Society for Marketing Science Practice Prize Award (2007). His research has also been selected as finalists for the Paul Green Award (2008, 2015) and a finalist for the Paul Root Award (2015).
Dr. Kannan is an AE for Journal of Marketing Research and serves on the editorial boards of the Marketing Science, Journal of Marketing, Journal of Service Research, and International Journal of Electronic Commerce. Dr. Kannan has served as the Chair for the American Marketing Association SIG on Marketing Research and is chairing the INFORMS Service Science section.
His teaching interests include marketing modeling, pricing, customer relationship management, new product development, and Internet retailing. He has taught these courses in executive programs for Black & Decker, Home Depot, ARINC, McCormick, and Northrup Grumman. He has corporate experience with Tata Engineering and Ingersoll-Rand and has consulted for companies such as Frito-Lay, Pepsi Co, Giant Food, Black and Decker, SAIC, Fannie Mae, and IBM.
Honors and Awards
- Winner, 2015 AMA/MSI Paul Root Award, Journal of Marketing
- Finalist, 2015 Paul Green Award, Journal of Marketing Research
- Davidson Award, 2014, Journal of Retailing
- Winner of the 2014 Outstanding Author Contribution, Review of Marketing Research
- Winner of the 2014 Outstanding Paper Award in European Business Review
- 2013-14 Best Reviewer Award, Journal of Marketing
- 2012 AMA Innovation, Technology and Interactivity SIG Article, Journal of Marketing Research
- Donald R. Lehmann Award, 2009, Journal of Marketing Research
- John D. C. Little Award, 2008, Marketing Science
- INFORMS Society of Marketing Science Gary Lilien Practice Prize Award, 2007
- Finalist, Paul Green Award, 2009, Journal of Marketing Research
- Harvey Sanders Professorship, The Robert H. Smith School of Business, 2004-2008
- Safeway Fellow, The Robert H. Smith School of Business, 1999 – 2004
- Allan J. Krowe Award for Teaching Excellence, May 2001
- Top 15% Teaching Award, Robert H. Smith School of Business, 2000, 2008, 2012
- NSF Grants, 2011-12, 2007-2010, 2002-2005
- Winner, 2015 AMA/MSI Paul Root Award
Hongshuang (Alice) Li and P. K. Kannan, “Attributing Conversions in a Multichannel Online Marketing Environment: An Empirical Model and a Field Experiment,” Journal of Marketing Research, Volume 51, Issue 1 (February) 2014, p.40-56.
- Finalist for the 2015 Paul Green Award
Kannan, P. K., Barbara Kline Pope, Sanjay Jain (2009), “Pricing Digital Content Product Lines: A Model and Application for the National Academies Press,” Marketing Science, Lead Article, Vol. 28, No. 4, July-August, (2009) pp. 620-636.
- Winner of the INFORMS Society of Marketing Science Practice Prize Competition, 2007
The award winning presentation may be seen at this link: http://techtv.mit.edu/collections/isms:1133/videos/7128-national-academies-press
Bezawada, Ram, S. Balachandar, P. K. Kannan and Venky Shankar (2009),“Cross-Category Effects of Aisle and Display Placements: A Spatial Modeling Approach and Insights,” Journal of Marketing. Vol. 73, Iss. 3, p. 99-117.
- Donald Lehmann Award, 2009, for the best dissertation-based article in JMR or JM.) (Finalist for the Paul Green Award for the year 2008.
- Winner of the John D. C. Little Award for the Best Paper in Marketing Science, Management Science for the year 2007.
Jain, Sanjay and P. K. Kannan, (2002), "Pricing of Information Products on Online Servers: Issues, Models, and Analysis," Management Science, Vol. 48, No. 9, September, pp. 1123-1143.
Kannan, P. K. and Susan Sanchez, (1994), "Competitive Market Structures: A Subset Selection Analysis,"Management Science, Vol. 40, No.11, pp. 1484-1499.
McCarthy, Patrick , P. K. Kannan, R. Chandrasekharan, and Gordon Wright, (1992), "Estimating Loyalty and Switching with an Application to the Automobile Market," Management Science, Vol. 38, No. 10 (October), pp. 1371-1394.
Kannan, P. K. and Gordon P. Wright, (1991), "On Testing Competitive Market Structures", Marketing Science, Vol. 10, No. 4, pp. 338-347.
Kannan, P. K. and Gordon P. Wright, (1991), "Modeling and Testing Structured Markets: A Nested Logit Approach", Marketing Science, Vol. 10, No. 1 (Winter), pp. 58-82.