Michael Trusov is Associate Professor of Marketing at the Robert H. Smith School of Business at the University of Maryland. He received his Ph.D. degree from the Anderson School of Management at UCLA. He also holds a Master's degree in Computer Science and a Master's degree in Business Administration.
His research interests include Internet Marketing (social media marketing, search engine marketing, social networks, clickstream analysis, electronic word-of-mouth marketing, e-commerce, recommendation systems, consumer-generated content), Text Analysis, Eye-tracking and Data Mining.
Professor Trusov has extensive industry experience. He spent seven years working in the area of software development and IT consulting in the Southern California region, specializing in marketing automation, database management, Internet applications, and e-commerce.
He is teaching Internet and Social Media Marketing at the University of Maryland.
Honors and Awards
- Finalist, Frank M. Bass Award, 2013
- MSI Young Scholar, 2013
- Winner, SMA Emerging Scholar Award, 2011
- Winner, Donald R. Lehmann Award, 2011
- Finalist, IJRM Best Paper Award, 2011
- Winner, Paul E. Green Award, 2011
- Top 15% Teaching Award, Robert H. Smith School of Business, 2010
- Winner, Emerald Management Reviews Citation of Excellence Award, 2010
- Runner-up, MSI/H. Paul Root Award, 2009
- Finalist, Harold H. Maynard Award, 2009
- Winner, MSI's Alden Clayton Doctoral Dissertation Competition, 2006
- Trusov, Michael, Randolph E. Bucklin and Koen Pauwels (2009), “Effects of Word-of-Mouth Versus Traditional Marketing: Findings from an Internet Social Networking Site,” Journal of Marketing, Vol. 73 (September 2009), 90-102.
- Trusov, Michael, Anand Bodapati and Randolph E. Bucklin (2010), “Determining Influential Users in Internet Social Networks,” Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 47 (4), 643-658.
- Decker, Reinhold and Michael Trusov (2010), “Estimating Aggregate Consumer Preferences from Online Product Reviews,” International Journal of Research in Marketing, Lead Article, Vol. 27 (4), 293-307.
- Moe, Wendy W. and Michael Trusov (2011), “The Value of Social Dynamics in Online Product Ratings Forums,” Journal of Marketing Research, June, Vol. 48, No. 3: 444-456.
- Rutz, Oliver, Michael Trusov and Randolph E. Bucklin (2011), “Modeling Indirect Effects of Paid Search Advertising: Which Keywords Lead to More Future Visits?” Marketing Science, July/August, 30:646-665.
- Rutz, Oliver and Michael Trusov (2011), “Zooming In on Paid Search Ads – A Consumer-level Model Calibrated on Aggregated Data,” Marketing Science, September/October, 30: 789-800
- Trusov, Michael, William Rand and Yogesh V. Joshi (2013), “Improving Prelaunch Diffusion Forecasts: Using Synthetic Networks as Simulated Priors,” Journal of Marketing Research, December, Vol. 50, Issue 6.