Kathryn M. Bartol
Robert H. Smith Professor of Management & Organization
Dr. Kathryn M. Bartol is the Robert H. Smith Professor of Management and Organization at the Robert H. Smith School of Business, University of Maryland, College Park. She is the co-director of the Center for Leadership, Innovation and Change (CLIC). She is the past Dean of the Fellows of the Academy of Management, as well as a Past President of the Academy of Management. She is a Fellow of the Academy of Management, the American Psychological Association, the Society for Industrial/Organizational Psychology, and the American Psychological Society. Her articles have appeared in such leading journals as the Academy of Management Journal, the Journal of Applied Psychology, the Academy of Management Review, Personnel Psychology, the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, the Journal of Organizational Behavior, Human Resource Management Review, MIS Quarterly, and Industrial and Labor Relations Review.
Honors and Awards:
- Past Dean of the Fellows of the Academy of Management, the management field's most distinguished group of scholars
- Past President of the Academy of Management
- Fellow of the Academy of Management, Fellow of the International Academy of Management, Fellow of the American Psychological Association, Fellow of the Society for Industrial/Organizational Psychology, and Fellow of the American Psychological Society
- Sage Scholar Award from the Academy of Management
- University of Maryland Distinguished Scholar-Teacher
- Three-time winner of the Krowe Award for Teaching Excellence from the Smith School
- Krowe Award for Teaching Innovation
- Principal Investigator for National Science Foundation Grant investigating workplace retention and career success of IT professionals
- Grants from the Society for Human Resources Management investigating the impact of information technology on the human resources function and employment relationships
- Fortune 100 companies
- United Technologies
- Cooper Industries
- Department of Defense
- Inter-American Development Bank
- Washington Hospital Center
- U.S. Agency for International Development
- American Chemical Society
- Zhang, Xiaomeng and Bartol, Kathryn M. (in press). Linking empowering leadership and employee creativity: The influence of psychological empowerment, creative process engagement, and intrinsic motivation. Academy of Management Journal.
- Hill, N. Sharon, Bartol, Kathryn M., Tesluk, Paul E., and Langa, Gosia A. (in press). When time is not enough: The development of trust and cooperation in computer mediated teams. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes.
- Xiaomeng Zhang, Kathryn M. Bartol, Ken G. Smith, Michael Pfarrer, and Dmitry Khanin, (2008). CEOs on the edge: Earnings manipulation and stock-based incentive misalignment. Academy of Management Journal, 54, 241-258.
- Michael Pfarrer, Ken G. Smith, Kathryn M. Bartol, Dmitry Khanin, and Xiaomeng Zhang (2008) Coming forward: The effects of social and regulatory forces on the voluntary restatement of earnings subsequent to wrongdoing. Organization Science, 19, 386-400.
- Quigley, Narda, Tesluk, Paul E., Locke, Edwin A. and Bartol, Kathryn M. (2007). The effects of incentives and individual differences on knowledge sharing and performance effectiveness.Organization Science, 18,71-88.
- Abhishek Srivastava, Kathryn M. Bartol, and Edwin A. Locke. (2006). Empowering leadership in management teams: Effects on knowledge sharing, efficacy, and performance. Academy of Management Journal. 49, 1239-1251.