Associate Professor & Director, Center for Excellence in Service
Professor Wagner is Director of the Center for Excellence in Service at the Smith School of Business. Previously, she served as the Associate Chair of the Marketing Department for seven years. Professor Wagner’s research and teaching focus on service marketing management, retailing, and survey research methods. Her most recent research is on how service firms in both online and offline environments build relationships with their customers. Of particular interest is how firms build customer loyalty, through customer satisfaction, trust, and value. Professor Wagner’s research has been published in the Journal of Marketing Research, the Journal of Consumer Research, the Journal of Retailing, the Journal of Service Research, the Journal of Industrial Marketing Management, and the Journal of Consumer Affairs. Professor Wagner is on the editorial board of the Journal of Service Research, and has served on the editorial boards of the Journal of Retailing and the Journal of Consumer Research. Her honors and awards include the Krowe Award for Teaching Excellence; Excellence Awards from the Smith M.B.A. Consulting Program; the Reviewer of the Year for the Journal of Consumer Research;Finalist for the Best Services Article, 2003 American Marketing Association Services Special Interest Group; Outstanding Teaching Award, University of Maryland; Teaching Excellence Award, Center for Teaching Excellence, University of Maryland; and Honorable Mention in the Journal of Consumer Research’s Ferber Award competition.Professor Wagner consults on customer service, customer relationship management, service blueprinting, and service marketing. Clients have included IBM, AOL, Hughes Network Systems, Sunrise Senior Living, Marriott, Consumer Value Partners (CVP), and Johnson & Johnson. She has directed or participated in executive education programs for China Telecom, the Society for Marketing Professional Services (SMPS), CAME of Peru, Cornell University’s Information Technology (CIT) Services, the Industrial Technology Research Institute (ITRI) of Taiwan, the CIA, the National Network of Libraries of Medicine, Lockheed Martin, and PGGM of the Netherlands. Recently she has conducted customer service workshops for the University of Maryland’s Bursar’s Office, and the University of Maryland’s Division of Information Technology (OIT).
Selected Honors & Awards
- Finalist, Excellence in Service Research Award, 2004
- Krowe Award for Teaching Excellence
- Excellence Award from the Smith M.B.A. Consulting Program
- Reviewer of the Year for the Journal of Consumer Research
- Honorable mention in the Ferber Award competition
- Editorial Review Boards: Journal of Retailing and Journal of Service Research
- Mathwick, C., J. Wagner, and R. Unni (2010), “Computer-Mediated Customization Tendency and the Adaptive eService Environment,” Journal of Retailing, March 2010, Vol. 86, Issue 1, pp. 11-21.
- Bolton, R., A.K. . Smith and J. Wagner (2003), “Striking the Right Balance: Designing Service to Enhance Business-to-Business Relationships,” Journal of Service Research, 5 (4), 271-291.
- Smith, A.K., R. Bolton, and J. Wagner, (1999), “A Model of Customer Satisfaction with Service Encounters Involving Failure and Recovery,” Journal of Marketing Research, September, 356-372.
- Garner, T. and J. Wagner, (1991), “Economic Dimensions of Household Gift-Giving,” Journal of Consumer Research, 18, December, 368-379.
- *Wagner, J. and S. Hanna, (1983), “The Effectiveness of Family Life Cycle Variables in Consumer Expenditure Research,” Journal of Consumer Research, 10, December, 281-291.
- *Honorable Mention, Ferber Award Competition for best paper based on a doctoral dissertation in consumer behavior.