Henry C. Boyd III
Clinical Associate Professor | Smith School Diversity Officer | Academic Coordinator LEAD Program
Joined University of Maryland in 2005.
Hank Boyd is a Clinical Associate Professor in the Marketing Department at the Robert H. Smith School of Business. He is also a managing director and principal at Ombudsman LLC, a diversified consultancy. He is licensed to practice law in Maryland, Wisconsin, and the U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin.
Dr. Boyd received his Ph.D. in Marketing from Duke University (with an emphasis in Consumer Behavior) and his J.D. in Intellectual Property from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. At the age of 24, he received his MBA in Marketing from the University of California at Berkeley. Prior to graduate study, he obtained his A.B. in Chemistry (with an emphasis in Biophysics) from Princeton University.
Dr. Boyd’s areas of expertise include biotechnology, consumer behavior, business consulting, pharmaceutical sales, advertising, and market research. His research has been published in Marketing Letters, Psychology & Marketing, and Journal of Advertising Research. He has served as an ad hoc reviewer for the Journal of Marketing Research. He has critiqued pedagogical approaches found in marketing textbooks for such leading publishing houses as CENGAGE, Prentice Hall, and Thomson South-Western.
Dr. Boyd’s opinions have appeared in The Washington Post, Baltimore Sun, Washington Times, Wisconsin State Journal, Capital Times, and Wausau Daily Herald. He has participated in live interviews on Maryland Public Television, CBS News (local affiliate WISC-TV Channel 3 News), NBC News (local affiliate WMTV Channel 15 News), and NEWS/TALK 1310 WIBA RADIO.
During the course of his academic career, Dr. Boyd has taught over 15,000 students the intricacies of marketing theory and practice. Outside of academe, he has worked as a summer associate at Heller Ehrman, a pharmaceutical rep at Merck, and an economic forecaster at IBM. He has consulted with several executive clients including the NFL, ExxonMobil, SAIC, Verizon, Stanley Black & Decker, and Ocean Tomo. At times, he has been called upon as an expert witness in legal proceedings. He has served on the faculty of the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
Hank resides in Fulton, MD with his wife, Isabel, and his daughter, Giselle.
Honors & Awards
- Academic Director, “NFL Consumer Products Boot Camp” – Baltimore, 2014
- Lecturer, Marketing Essentials – ExxonMobil, Asia Pacific, Thailand, 2012
- Lecturer, Sports Marketing and the World Cup – Cape Town, Johannesburg, 2010
- Allen J. Krowe Award for Teaching Excellence, Robert H. Smith School of Business, 2009
- Lecturer, Robert H. Smith School of Business – Cape Town, Johannesburg, 2008
- CIBER Rep, Robert H. Smith School of Business – Johannesburg, Nairobi, 2007
- Lecturer, Robert H. Smith School of Business – UIBE, Beijing, 2006
- Mabel W. Chipman Excellence in Teaching Award, UW-Madison 2001
- Professor of the Year, Mu Kappa Tau, UW-Madison, 1999
- Lecturer, Ecole de Management de Normandie, Le Havre, France, 1998
- Dr. Brenda Pfaehler Award of Excellence, UW-Madison, 1998
- Visiting Professorship, Grey Advertising, New York, 1997
- Teacher of the Year, North Carolina Central University, 1995
- Stanley Black & Decker
- Ocean Tomo