On March 28, 2014, at the North Marriott Hotel & Conference Center in Bethesda, Md., students, faculty and business professionals met for the third annual Smith School Business Summit. This year’s theme looked at innovation as an essential building block for the prosperity and survival of corporations. With more than 600 registered attendants, it was the largest Summit yet.
Logistics, Business & Public Policy
Smith's annual Industry Day is organized by students in the undergraduate Supply Chain Management Society and supply chain and logistics faculty. In addition to the morning program honoring Mike Roth of Amazon, the day included a luncheon for employers and undergraduate students, and an afternoon career fair. Representatives and recruiters from more than 30 companies participated in the 2012 event.
The Supply Chain Management program hosted the 18th Annual Industry Day on October 15, 2010. The day included networking events, a career fair and a ceremony to honor Mark Holifield as the "2010 Person of the Year". Holifield is the senior vice president of global supply chain for the Home Depot.
Smith School Honors Walmart’s Logistics Leader
The University of Maryland’s Robert H. Smith School of Business today honored Chris Sultemeier, executive vice president of logistics for Walmart U.S., as the 2013 “Person of the Year” in the supply chain and logistics industry. Students and faculty recognized him at Smith’s 21st annual Industry Day, a career and networking event that highlights the school’s top-ranked supply chain management program and its relationships with top companies.
UMD Smith School of Business Honors Amazon.com’s Supply Chain Head
The University of Maryland’s Robert H. Smith School of Business today named Michael Roth, vice president of North American Operations at Amazon.com, as the 2012 “Person of the Year.” Roth was recognized by students and faculty at Smith’s 20th annual Industry Day career and networking event.
Former person of the year award winners:
- Chris Sultemeier, Executive Vice President, Logistics North America, Walmart
- Mike Roth, Vice President of Operations, Amazon
- Mark Holified, SVP of Global Supply Chain, The Home Depot
- Peter Gibbons, EVP of Global Supply Chain, Starbucks
- John D. Porcari, Secretary, Department of Transportation
- Jock Menzies, President, Terminal Corporation
- Rick Blasgen, President, Council of Supply Chain Management Professionals (CSCMP)
- Edward Emmett, President, National Industrial Transportation League
- Herb Johnson, Past President, Council of Logistics Management
- Don Schneider, President, Schneider National Inc.
- Michael J. Ward, Chairman, President, and CEO, CSX Corp.
- Linda Morgan, Former Chair, Surface Transportation Board and the Interstate Commerce Commission
- Jeffrey Crowe, Chairman, Landstar System Inc.
- Ro Parra, SVP, Dell Corp
- Ron Widdows, Chief Executive, APL Ltd.
- Jeffrey N. Shane, Under Secretary for Policy, U.S. Department of Transportation
Local Hotel Accommodations
3501 University Blvd.
East Hyattsville, MD 20783
The UMUC Marriott is within walking distance of the venue.
Hotel website: www.marriott.com
Robert H. Smith School of Business
Van Munching Hall
College Park, MD 20742
For more information please contact:
Supply Chain Program Manager
Pricing includes booth, six foot draped table with two chairs, lunch for all attending recruiters, and wireless internet.
- $450 - after Sept. 8, 2014
- $400 early bird discount, if purchased before Sept. 8, 2014
- $25 electricity fee
Contact Complete Expo directly to ship your items to our event.
Congratulations to the Top Graduating Seniors in each major for 2013-14! We will honor these seniors at our 14th Annual Robert H. Smith School of Business Undergraduate Awards Dinner later this semester.
Dean's Leadership Award: Stephanie Graf
Accounting: Kristen Ballou
Finance: Hrach Kelejian
Information Systems: Miles Dickinson
International Business: Claire Moriarty
Management: Sara Ali
Marketing: Lindsay Djuhadi
Successful businesses thrive on innovation. It’s the key to a competitive advantage and should be part of every business strategy and strategic vision.
Discover ways to jumpstart your innovation strategy in 2014 and beyond. Join us for the third annual Smith School Business Summit, presented by the University of Maryland’s Robert H. Smith School of Business on Friday, March 28 at the Marriott North Bethesda.
Former Deputy Assistant Secretary of State Catharin Dalpino spoke at the Robert H. Smith School of Business on February 26, 2014 as the fifth speaker in the Office of Global Initiative’s six-part series: “Challenges to Doing Business in Emerging Markets.” Her lecture was entitled “Political and Economic Challenges to Doing Business in Southeast Asia” and it focused primarily on Indonesia, Myanmar, Thailand, and Vietnam.