Since 2007, the Intermodal Association of North America’s annual scholarship award to the Smith School has given supply chain consulting fellows opportunities to learn how their supply chain management coursework applies to real-world transportation and logistics operations.
This program exposes students to the world of freight transportation and the exciting roles and future careers they will have as the industry’s next generation of leaders through lectures conducted by industry executives, study trips, academic case competitions, and career development resources.
For information regarding program curriculum and admission requirements, please see the supply chain consulting fellows academics page maintained by the Robert H. Smith School of Business Undergraduate Program Office. To contact the supply chain department email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 301 405-2190.
Executive Leadership Seminars
Transportation, logistics, and supply chain management executives present their knowledge directly in the classroom and lead class sessions in both BMGT471 and in BMGT499C. These executive leadership seminars also give students a chance network with the experienced decision makers of major railroads, motor carriers, steamship lines, port authorities, logistics providers, transportation equipment leasing companies, and shippers.
Speakers in this series have included:
- Sam Azzarello – General Manager, Intermodal Logistics, Maryland Port Administration
- Rachel Bird - Manager of Government and Legal Affairs, Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroad
- Rick Blasgen - President and CEO, Council of Supply Chain Management Professionals
- Jeff Brashares - Senior Vice President, Sales and National Accounts, TTS LLC
- Michael Gardner, Cheif Development Officer, Excel/DHL Supply Chain*
- Peter Gibbons, Executive Vice President, Global Supply Chain Operations, Starbucks**
- Windy Herrick, Vice President, Customer Service & Logistics, Unilever
- Jim Hertwig - President and CEO, Florida East Coast Railway
- Jenny Johnson - Vice President, Intermodal Support Services
- Craig Mygatt – Senior Director, Maersk Line/SeaLand
- Val Noel - Senior Vice President and COO, TRAC Intermodal
- Phil Shook – Director of Intermodal, C.H. Robinson
- Michael Wilson - Senior Vice President, Hamburg Sud North America Inc.
*Now President and CEO, Kane Is Able, Inc.
**Now Executive Vice President & Chief Supply Chain Officer, Mattel Inc.
Intermodal EXPO and Study Trips
Fellows are required to attend the Intermodal Association of North America (IANA) Intermodal EXPO. EXPO is the intermodal transportation industry’s premier trade conference where leading 3PL’s, ocean carriers, motor carriers, transportation equipment manufacturers and leasing companies, technology vendors, and shippers come together to showcase the industry’s products and services as well as examine challenges and issues impacting the entire intermodal supply chain. This event provides students with opportunities to network with transportation and logistics professionals, attend educational sessions discussing real-world supply chain operations, and view exhibits on the showroom floor. BMGT471 requires fellows students to attend EXPO and fulfill course requirements through assigned activities at the event. Students unable to participate in this trip will complete alternative assignments as part of their BMGT471 course requirements.
In addition to EXPO, fellows participate in study trips each semester to major distribution centers and industry facilities where students are exposed to the role of intermodal transportation operations that enable the movement of goods through the domestic and international supply chains.
Previous trips and IANA event attendance have included:
- IANA Intermodal EXPO 2011 – Atlanta, Georgia
- IANA Intermodal EXPO 2012 – Anaheim, California
- IANA Intermodal EXPO 2013 – Houston, Texas
- IANA Intermodal EXPO 2014 – Long Beach, California
- IANA Logistics and Supply Chain Management Competition - University of North Florida - Jacksonville; 2000 - Present
- Anheuser-Busch Brewery – Jacksonville, Florida
- BNSF Railway
- Alliance Intermodal Facility, Hasket, Texas
- BNSF Headquarters, Fort Worth, Texas
- CSX Corporation
- Cumberland Locomotive Shop - Cumberland, Maryland
- TDSI Automotive Facility - Annapolis Junction, Maryland
- Jacksonville Intermodal Terminal - Jacksonville, Florida
- Fairburn Intermodal Facility - Fairburn, Georgia
- DAMCO - Distribution Center (Part of Maersk Group) - Joliet, Illinois
- General Motors - Arlington Assembly Plant - Arlington, Texas
- Home Depot Facilities
- Import Distribution Center - Baytown, Texas
- Regional Distribution Center - Winchester, Virginia
- JAXPORT - Jacksonville, Florida
- JC Penney Logistics Center - Haslet, Texas
- Maryland Port Administration - Baltimore, Maryland
- McCormick & Co. Distribution Center - Belcamp, Maryland
- Norfolk Southern Intermodal Terminal - Austell, Georgia
- Port of Houston Authority/Bayport Terminal - Texas
- Port of Long Beach - California
- Port of Los Angeles - California
- Target - Distribution Center - Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
- The Virginia Port Authority - Norfolk, Virginia
- Union Pacific Intermodal Container Transfer Facility - Long Beach, California
- UPS Distribution Centers
- Burtonsville Hub - Burtonsville, Maryland
- Chicago Area Consolidation Hub - Hodgkins, Illinois
IANA EXPO Case Competition Awards Won by UMD SCM Student Teams
Through an internal selection process, the top supply chain consulting fellows compete against students from the nation’s other elite supply chain management programs. Fellows annually participate in the Intermodal EXPO Academic Challenge – Annual Student Competition and the IANA Logistics & Supply Chain Management Case Competition hosted at the University of North Florida. See below for a list of awards won by UMD SCM student teams.
- IANA EXPO Case Competition 2017 – First Place
- IANA EXPO Case Competition 2012 – First Place
- IANA EXPO Case Competition 2011 – First Place
In order to facilitate the placement of fellows in internships and full-time positions with IANA’s member companies, IANA and the Smith School’s Office of Career Services have jointly developed the Intermodal Job Portal. This online recruitment tool directly connects Maryland’s supply chain fellows to the entry-level hiring needs of the intermodal industry.