The Innovo Scholars Consulting Program teaches students how to solve complex problems and manage the dynamics of client-focused engagements. In addition to completing a comprehensive consulting project, you receive professional one-on-one coaching from practicing project managers and management consultants. An emphasis is placed on developing the skills required to succeed in professional consulting careers, including:
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Leadership and collaboration
- Data analysis and conducting research
- Professional communication
- Project and client management
- An ability to deal with ambiguity
In your consulting project, you will partner with Smith stakeholders to identify strengths and opportunities of current courses and programs, then apply best practices in collecting and analyzing data to recommend improvements. You will also consider human capital, organizational, and technological resources to ensure the proposed solutions are feasible, with design thinking and agile development methods driving innovation.
The FEARLESS consulting framework will guide your real-world project. The class focuses on both sides of the consulting process: solving complex business problems and managing dynamic environments.
- Frame the problem
- Explore the situation
- Analyze the data
- Recommend and reflect
- Listen actively
- Empathize with others
- Set and manage expectations
- Share your progress and ideas
Innovo Scholars must enroll in BMGT 498L: Innovating the Higher Education Business Model. Past projects include individual course innovations in the undergraduate curriculum; program and office initiatives including the Dingman Center for Entrepreneurship and Smith Start; and Smith-wide issues such as critical thinking and academic integrity.
Innovo Scholars provides a network of alumni in consulting roles across a variety of sectors and industries. Organizations where recent Innovo Scholars have interned or accepted full-time offers include:
- Capital One
- Prudential Financial
- National Economic Council, White House
- JPMorgan Chase
- Grant Thornton
- Northrop Grumman
- boutique and specialty consulting firms
- Open to all Smith business majors and minors.
- Rising sophomores, juniors, and seniors.
Students interested in learning more may email the Office of Transformational Learning’s Experiential Learning team at ExL@rhsmith.umd.edu for additional information.
Innovo Scholars in the News
- Smith Students Help University Implement Diversity Initiative, Dec. 20, 2017
- Innovo Consulting Scholars Present to UMD Cabinet, Dec. 16, 2016
- Students Help Shape Classroom Instruction, Smith Business Magazine, Spring 2016
- Smith School Shakes Up Higher Ed's Model, Smith News, February 2016
- Innovo Scholars Program Helps Transform Learning at Smith, Smith News, December 2015