Dr. Mark Wellman (far left) with students at the
Sheikh Mohammed Centre for Cultural Understanding in Dubai, UAE.
The Global Consulting Fellows program is uniquely designed to complement any major by exposing students to consulting job opportunities beyond those they will traditionally explore in their field. Its strong experiential learning component provides many networking opportunities for students to learn with and learn from global business leaders. The required coursework is taught in an application based format, ensuring that the skill set developed is current, relevant and practical, equipping students with hard and soft skills and the global business savvy needed to distinguish themselves in an increasingly global job market.
Teams of students are challenged in the program's global consulting practicum to conduct research and develop innovative ideas to contribute to their client's strategy. Students examine the challenges that industries and companies face as a result of globalization. They answer questions about specific industry growth drivers, strategies for global expansion, sources of competitive advantage in a global context, and more.
Working together, the courses, guest speakers, networking opportunities, experiential learning experiences, extracurricular activities and the practicum are designed to equip students for success in the industry. By the end of the program, students will know whether or not consulting is the right career path for them and will have gained a set of skills that they can use for the rest of their career.
Dr. Mark Wellman is the faculty champion for the Global Consulting Fellows program. Dr. Wellman has led more than 1,000 undergraduates on short-term study abroad courses to the United Arab Emirates, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, and Malaysia. He also leads students on an annual West Coast Innovation Immersion course (Silicon Valley, Seattle, Portland, etc.). Not only will students in this program have the option of joining Dr. Wellman on one of these excursions, but all students will benefit from his vast network of domestic and global professional leaders whom he invites into the classroom as guest speakers.
Curriculum: One-Year Program
- BMGT 466F (Global Strategy) - Fall
- BMGT 468P (Fellows Program Practicum in Global Business) - Spring
- Diversity Roundtable Workshop in partnership with UMD's Office of Multicultural Involvement & Student Advocacy
- Site visits to Embassies and State Department
- Global Consulting Fellows Alumni Networking Reception
Guest Speakers to include:
- Erik R. Peterson, Partner, A.T. Kearney and Global Business Policy Council Managing Director, Americas;
- Bill Plummer - Vice President of Huawei Government Affairs;
- Myron Brilliant, Executive VP and Head of International Affairs at US Chamber of Commerce;
- Terran Potor, Director of Global Expansion Team at UnderArmour;
- Tim Groser, New Zealand Ambassador to the United States;
- Brent Prescott, Global Partnerships Director at Facebook & Instagram;
- Lee Godown, Vice President of Global Markets & Policy at General Motors;
- Eric Pelletier, Vice President International Government Affairs for Alibaba Group.
Examples of companies where Global Consulting Fellows have interned or received full-time offers:
- U.S. State Department
- Fannie Mae
- State of Maryland
- Morgan Stanley
- Open to all Business majors (you may apply if you are in the process of applying to Smith as an internal transfer student, but Fellows admission would be contingent upon admission to the Smith School).
- Rising junior or senior; rising sophomores who have completed 220, 230 and are completing the 300 level BMGT core classes during the 2018-19 academic year will be considered.
- Minimum 3.0 GPA.
Applications for Global Consulting Fellows for 2018-2019 are due February 12, 2018, at 11:59 p.m.
- Online application form.
- Cover letter – Explains why you want to be a part of this program, what you can bring to the program, and what you hope to gain from participating. (Address to faculty champion.)
- Note: Cover letter and resume must be submitted in PDF format.