The innovation & entrepreneurship minor equips students with the knowledge and skills to ramp up their own businesses, as well as to innovate and think creatively about problem-solving and strategy. For more information, please contact email@example.com.
The innovation & entrepreneurship minor program admits new students each spring. Online applications are available from December to February. Those applying to the program will provide general information, answer essay questions, and submit the contact information of a University of Maryland, College Park faculty member to provide a recommendation. Upon review of applications, students will be notified of their final status prior to the registration period for the fall semester.
The innovation & entrepreneurship minor is an experiential academic minor program. Students interested in applying to the Smith minors must meet the following criteria:
- Current UMD College Park undergraduate (all majors) with at least 4 remaining semesters once admitted
- Taken a minimum of 15+ credit hours at the University of Maryland, College Park
- Achieved a GPA of 2.0 or higher
- Flexibility to complete 15 total credits in required coursework
The innovation and entrepreneurship minor application for the academic year 2020-21 is now closed.
Admissions decisions will be available in April 2020.
- To apply students must complete the minor online application form.
- Letter of recommendation: Applicants are required to provide one academic letter of recommendation from a faculty or graduate TA. Faculty must complete the online form.
- Course plan: Upload a semester course plan into your online application.
Non-business students may apply for any of the three Smith minors. However, they will be admitted to only one, and can indicate their preferences during the application process. Students that do not enroll in at least one course a semester may be removed from the program.
Admission into the Smith School’s business minor program is competitive. To be selected into the program, students will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Overall/total cumulative GPA, information from previous institutions may be used in evaluating your application
- Demonstrated commitment to growth and development through the study of business or innovation and entrepreneurship concepts.
The Smith innovation & entrepreneurship minor has a 15 credit blended learning curriculum structure. Admitted students are expected to complete all required courses to obtain the minor. Blended learning is a combination of online and in-person instruction. The level of online learning varies for each course, expectations are outlined by each course instructor. Minor courses are initially restricted to admitted minor students. See the curriculum page for more on course offerings.
Minors Completion Requirements: 15 Credit Hours
The Smith School minor will be posted on a student's academic transcript, but not on the diploma. The following requirements must be met for the completion of the minor:
- The minor requires no fewer than 15 academic credits, with at least nine credits at the upper level (300- or 400-level courses)
- The student may use a maximum of six credits to satisfy the requirements of both a major and a minor
- Courses completed in one minor may not be used to satisfy the requirements in another minor
- No more than two of the required foundation courses (or six credits) may be taken at an institution other than the University of Maryland, College Park
- At least six upper-division credits applied to the minor must be taken at this university
- No course with an earned grade below "C-" may count towards a business minor
- In some cases, departments requiring majors to have supporting courses may wish to allow students to substitute an appropriate minor course for the supporting course requirement