The General Business minor provides the business savvy to complement the depth of knowledge acquired in the students’ chosen area of major, so they excel in their careers after graduation. Note: The General Business minor is not open to declared Business majors. For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Smith General Business minor program admits new students each spring. Online applications are available from December to February. Those applying to the program will provide general information, answer essay questions, and submit the contact information of a University of Maryland, College Park faculty member to provide a recommendation. Upon review of applications, students will be notified of their final status prior to the registration period for the Fall semester. Admitted students begin courses in the following fall semester.
The Smith General Business minor is a two-year academic minor program. Students interested in applying to the Smith Minors must meet the following criteria:
- Current UMD College Park undergraduate (all majors) with at least 4 remaining semesters once admitted
- Taken a minimum of 45 credit hours at the University of Maryland, College Park
- Achieved a GPA of 2.0 or higher (applicant pool GPA varies)
- Flexibility to complete 15 total credits in two minor categories (a) Core [required courses] (b) Electives [choice of one from list]
The General Business Minor Application for 2019-20 is now closed. Applications are currently under review and decisions will be communicated in mid-April.
- To apply students must complete the minor online application form.
- Letter of Recommendation: Applicants are required to provide one academic letter of recommendation from a faculty or graduate TA.
- Course Plan: After completing your application, applicants must submit a four-semester course plan.
The Smith General Business minor is a partially blended online learning program with a sequenced curriculum structure. Admitted students are expected to complete courses in two categories: (a) Core [required courses] (b) Electives [choose one from list] to obtain the minor. Smith Minor courses have a blended learning format. Blended learning is a combination of online and in person instruction. The level of online learning varies for each course and expectations are outlined by each course instructor. Minor courses are only available to admitted minor students. No prerequisite courses are required to apply. See curriculum page for more on course offerings.
Minors Completion Requirements: 15 Credit Hours
The Smith School minor will be posted on a student's academic transcript, but not on the diploma. The following requirements must be met for the completion of the minor:
- The minor requires no fewer than 15 academic credits, with at least nine credits at the upper level (300- or 400-level courses)
- Student may use a maximum of six credits to satisfy the requirements of both a major and a minor
- Courses completed in one minor may not be used to satisfy the requirements in another minor
- No more than two of the required foundation courses (or six credits) may be taken at an institution other than the University of Maryland, College Park
- At least six upper-division credits applied to the minor must be taken at this university
- No course with an earned grade below "C-" may count towards a business minor
- In some cases, departments requiring majors to have supporting courses may wish to allow students to substitute an appropriate minor course for the supporting course requirement