Applications are currently accepted on a space-available basis. Before starting an application for the fall 2019 semester, please contact us at or via phone at 301-405-2559 to check availability.

Application Fee

A non-refundable application fee of $75 is required. Do not send cash. Please pay by credit card as you submit your application online. The application fee is not refundable under any circumstances. There are no fee waivers.

Academic Credentials

By the application deadline date, the Admissions Office must receive:

  • A transcript/mark sheets in the original language must be uploaded into the online application. If your transcript is not in English, please also upload a transcript/mark sheets translated into English.
  • Copy of diploma/degree received if this information is not listed on your transcript. If your diploma is not in English, please also submit a diploma translated into English. This documentation should be uploaded into the online application.

Only applicants who have completed the full sequence of preparatory studies and examinations equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree from an approved institution and who have demonstrated high academic achievement will be considered.

* Translations should not be interpretive, and actual names of all degrees, diplomas, and certificates must appear in the translation. If you are in need of a translation service, a list of English translation companies can be found here.

English Test Scores (TOEFL, IELTS)

All students at Maryland are expected to read, write, and speak English fluently. International students must demonstrate a proficiency in the English language by taking the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the IELTS. To view a list of countries exempt from taking the TOEFL exam please click here. Applicants must achieve the following scores to qualify for full admission. Provisional admission is not an option for MBA students.

For the TOEFL, applicants must score at least 100. In addition, on the individual sections applicants must score at least:

  • Reading: 26
  • Listening: 24
  • Writing: 24
  • Speaking: 22

Applicants who take the IELTS must score a minimum of 7.0. In addition on the individual sections, applicant must score at least:

  • Reading: 7.0
  • Listening: 7.0
  • Writing: 7.0
  • Speaking: 6.5

When requesting official TOEFL scores, please select the score recipient as 'UMD Smith School of Business, institutional code 5814'.

Test scores that cannot be sent electronically should be mailed directly to the University of Maryland. Please have the testing center mail your score sheet to:

University of Maryland
Enrollment Service Operations
Application for Graduate Admission
Room 0130 Mitchell Building
College Park, Maryland 20742

Financial Resources

International applicants applying for an F-1 visa should complete the Certification of Finance Form. Proof of funding is not required at the time of application, however financial documents must be submitted before a student can be formally admitted to the University of Maryland. Approximately $67, 320 annually is required for educational and living expenses. If admitted, evidence of funding for the first year must be submitted with an indication of sources of financial support for subsequent years. Admitted students unable to demonstrate that they possess sufficient resources will not be issued an I-20.

Each prospective student should become familiar with current government regulations for exchanging and forwarding currency to the U.S. Arrangements must be made to have necessary funds on hand at the beginning of, and at regular intervals throughout, each semester. Some governments require that certificates of eligibility to enroll or certificates of attendance accompany applications for currency exchange. Students to whom this requirement applies should contact the Office of International Education Services, Mitchell Building, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742-5215, USA, for assistance.

International Applicants Who Reside in the U.S.

International applicants who have U.S. addresses need to submit information about their visa status with their application packet.

  • Immigrants need to copy both sides of their Alien Registration cards while non-immigrants need to provide copies of both sides of their I-94 form and a copy of the most recent visa stamp in their passports.
  • F-1 visa holders are also required to copy both sides of their I-20 form.
  • J-1 visa holders are also required to copy both sides of the original and most recent IAP-66 form.

Immigration Documents

International applicants admitted to graduate study will be issued student visas where appropriate. Foreign students should not leave their home country before obtaining an official offer of admission from the Dean for Graduate Studies.

To enter the United States most foreign students will need a passport from their government and a visa from the U.S. Consulate. To apply for a visa, the student must provide evidence of a minimum of 48 graduate unit hours, or the equivalent of a full course of study. The accompanying spouse or child of an F-1 student enters the U.S. on an F-2 visa, which does not permit employment of any kind. Another commonly granted visa is the Exchange Visitor visa (J-1), generally for students sponsored by agencies, foundations, or their home governments. It is granted only with the presentation of a Certificate of Eligibility Form (IAP-66). The accompanying spouse or child enters the U.S. on a J-2 visa, which may in some circumstances permit employment with approval from the U.S.

For further information, please refer to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services or U.S. Department of State.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

It is important to note that, in many cases, an Exchange Visitor must leave the U.S. at the conclusion of the program, may not change visa status, and may not be eligible for any other visa until a two-year home country residency has been completed.

For further information concerning visas, please consult with the U.S. Consulate in your country.

Note: The Visitor’s Visa (B-2) is not appropriate for students intending to study in the U.S. Once an individual is in the U.S. on a B-2 visa, it is difficult to change to a Student or Exchange Visitor visa unless that individual has previously discussed study plans with the U.S. Consulate and has been issued a B-2 visa designated “prospective student.”