What are the program prerequisites?
Applicants must have completed the equivalent of a United States' bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in order to be eligible for graduate study at the University of Maryland. The Smith Flex MBA assumes no prior knowledge of or background in business. However, due to the quantitative rigors of our program, the admissions committee requires admitted applicants to demonstrate quantitative ability prior to matriculation. Few accepted applicants have a grade point average below 3.00/4.00. Those who do have exceptional characteristics in other areas. The average GMAT score range for our Flex MBA students is 550–650 and the average GRE score is 315. The Smith School does not use a cut-off system for GMAT scores. However, applicants with lower GMAT scores must have exceptional qualifications in other areas to be considered for admission.
My GMAT/GPA/work experience is lower than I'd like. Should I still apply?
Yes. Every application is considered in its entirety. If you have weak points in your application, the admissions committee will search for stronger points to counterbalance them.
Is work experience a requirement for the Flex MBA program?
While a few years of post-undergraduate full-time work experience is preferred, applicants with substantive internships, strong academic backgrounds and/or who have recently started their careers may be admissible to the program and are considered on an individual basis.
When do classes begin?
The Flex MBA program begins in August with a required orientation and residency program.
How long does it take to complete the degree requirements?
The requirement for a Master of Business Administration is 54 credit hours. Our Flex MBA program can be completed in 24 months. The degree requirements for dual degrees range from 66 to 88 credit hours. These programs take on average three to four years to complete.
How many credits do program participants take per semester?
Flex MBA students typically enroll in 8 credit hours per semester.
Are transfer credits accepted?
Transfer credits can possibly be accepted for the Flex MBA program in rare situations. For example, a student is unable to complete an AACSB-accredited MBA program in California due to a job transfer to the D.C. Metro area. All transfer credit requests are at the discretion of the Master's Programs Office, but requests will only be considered if all criteria below are met. Transfer credit requests from schools in the D.C. Metro/Baltimore/Northern Virginia area cannot be considered.
In order to be eligible to transfer any credits towards your Flex MBA, you must meet all of the following criteria. (A maximum of 9 credit semester hours may be transferred into the program):
- Students must have been enrolled as an MBA degree-seeking student at the time the credit(s) were earned.
- Currently enrolled as a degree-seeking student in an MBA program.
- Courses must be from an MBA program that is accredited by AACSB.
- Credits may not have been used to meet the requirements for any degree previously earned.
- The Master's Programs Office deems the courses appropriate for a University of Maryland degree.
- Earned a "B" or better in the courses offered for transfer and a "B" or better average in all graduate work taken at the institution from which the credits are being transferred.
- Credit will not be given for any course work taken more than five years before the anticipated date for completion of the MBA degree.