The Finance and Accounting office (F&A) is here to serve you, our colleagues at the Robert H. Smith School of Business. We view our work as a partnership and created this document to articulate the expectations to which we will hold ourselves accountable, as well as expectations we have of you. All of this is so that we can fulfill our mission: to provide support, service, data, analysis, and solutions that are reliable, accurate, timely and collaborative.
- Respond to all your emails by the end of the next business day, either with an answer or with follow-up /clarifying questions; if this is not possible, we will acknowledge your email within the same timeline, and provide a date certain for a more fulsome response.
- Deliver department and office financial information for each month, by the 16th of the following month. These packets will include summary budget and year-to-date expenditures, as well as general ledger detail for each account.
- Provide grant budget reports by the 25th day following the end of each quarter.
- Support all of your budgeting and routing needs.
- Meet your deadlines, provided you comply with our submission criteria and timelines.
- Work as your partners, always assuming goodwill and putting forth our best effort to reflect F&A’s core “S.M.I.T.H.” values (Service, Morals, Improvement, Thoughtfulness and Hard work.)
F&A expects our customer/partners to:
- Submit all documentation electronically, in order to create a record and accountability on all ends.
- Submit t-cards and p-card logs in compliance with F&A policy.
- Submit TARs prior to paying any travel expenses; submit travel reimbursements within 15 days of your trip.
- Submit all other expense reimbursements in accordance with this policy.
- Submit contracts, agreements and PO invoices at least six weeks prior to their due date, so we can provide procurement with sufficient lead time. Ensure contracts include a full statement of work, as well as information on jurisdiction, liability, and conflicts of law.
- Send complete grant proposals inquiries at least two weeks ahead of any deadline.
- Review monthly financial statements and report discrepancies with 21 days of receipt.
- Return signed forms such as DVs and TESs within 30 days of receipt.
- Have your customers send live checks directly to F&A in accordance with this policy (we’ll scan and send you a copy); if they are accidentally sent to your office, forward to F&A within one business day of receipt.
- Work as our partners, and assume goodwill with the understanding that we will do our best to serve your needs and exceed your expectations