Career Development Resources
The Technology Team
The OCS technology team works hard to provide you a wide array of resources to support your career development, from research/exploration through skills development to job application and employment reporting. Virtual platforms are especially important so that students with busy schedules can access resources when they need them, regardless of the hour! Here is the technology team:
- Sandra Staub, Director, Career Services Technology and Data Analytics
- Jeffrey L. Stoltzfus, Associate Director of Career Services Technology and Data Integration
- Hua “Alice” Zhang, Coordinator, Career Services Technology and Data Analytics
Feel free to contact our team with any technology questions or issues at email@example.com.
Best-in-Class Career Development Resources
Below is a list of the technology tools available to you as a Smith student. Many of the career resources listed in this section are paid for by Smith or by UMD, and are free for you as a student, so it is important to use the links we provide to access the Smith/UMD version.
HireSmith (Powered by 12Twenty)
HireSmith is the OCS system of record for recruiting activity. It anchors the technology suite and is a full-service resource for employers, Smith students and alumni.
HireSmith is also the OCS system of record for employment outcomes data. These HireSmith features are designed by MBAs for MBAs for secure sharing, so that students can transparently view anonymized year-over- year data. These web-based salary research tools will make salary negotiation more productive and efficient.
HireSmith is your “one-stop shop” for career services resources – including events, guidelines, and reference.
Links to the resources below – and many others – are also available via your HireSmith resource library, so the only link you need to remember is HireSmith.net!
- Careers4Terps – Employers specifically seeking UMD students post full-time, part-time, and internship positions on Careers4Terps (C4T). Search by industry, type of job, geographic location, major, and other criteria. Use the system’s search agent to receive notifications of new postings matching your interests.
- Foreign Labor Certification Data Center – The Online Wage Library for prevailing wage determinations (used for visa applications by employers). Find typical/average salaries by occupation and geographic area.
- GoinGlobal – An online resource that includes a database of H1-B employers. This tool is accessible through the Careers4Terps website, to which all Smith students have access.
- Mergent Intellect – The industry-leading business directory which provides comprehensive company and industry profiles, in-depth financials, company overviews and histories, information on competitors, products, services and operations. (Must be accessed through UMD’s Virtual Business Information Center (VBIC); Additional business databases are also accessible through the VBIC link.
- To access, go to https://www.lib.umd.edu/vbic/, click on "Company Information", then “Mergent Intellect”. You will be asked to log in; use your assigned username and password, the same as Testudo and Canvas.
- InterviewStream – Practice mock interviews, review interview tips, and record and playback your interviews for your own analysis. This tool is accessible through the Careers4Terps website, to which all Smith students have access. Click here for direct access to InterviewStream.
- Terrapins Connect – A new professional networking and mentorship platform, and we invite you to join. This platform will connect you with University of Maryland alumni who have been in your shoes and are eager to share their educational and professional experiences.
- Learn Educate Discover (LED) – A set of free podcasts featuring discussions with MBAs about their jobs, to help you explore functions and industries as you discover your MBA career path.
- Firsthand, formerly known as Vault – Best known for its rankings, ratings, and reviews on thousands of top employers, Vault also provides information on nearly 5,000 companies in more than 120 industries as well as more than 840 professions. Included are career advice blogs and discussions, a job search engine and anonymous interviews with current and past employees. Of particular note are Vault’s downloadable guidebooks in industries such as consulting, investment banking, IT, etc. Our exclusive access link launches to Career Insider, a web site that provides additional information beyond what is available on the public Vault site.
- VMock – A resume review tool that will scan your resume and offer specific suggestions for improvement and Smith template compliance.