Professor of Marketing & The Harvey Sanders Fellow of Retail Management
Jie Zhang is Professor of Marketing and the Harvey Sanders Fellow of Retail Management at the Robert H. Smith School of Business at the University of Maryland. She received her Ph.D. in marketing from the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University. She was an Assistant Professor of Marketing at the University of Michigan prior to joining the Smith School. Her general research interest is to apply advanced econometric and statistical models to study consumer purchase behaviors and retail strategies in the digital and multichannel retail environments. She is a recognized expert in digital/Internet retailing, customized promotions, retail management, and quantitative marketing models. Her recent research projects focus on large and frequently-changing assortments, online shopping cart management, mobile app monetization strategies, online retail platforms, and innovative loyalty programs.
Professor Zhang has published articles in leading marketing and management journals such as Marketing Science, the Journal of Marketing Research, and Management Science. Her research has twice been selected as a finalist for the Paul Green Award by the Journal of Marketing Research, has won the Procter & Gamble Marketing Innovation Research Award, the MSI-ACR “Shopper Marketing” Research Proposal Competition, and has been sponsored by the Marketing Science Institute. She is an Associate Editor for the Journal of Marketing, International Journal of Research in Marketing, and Customer Needs and Solutions, and an Editorial Review Board member of the Journal of Marketing Research.
Professor Zhang teaches Advanced Marketing Analytics, Retail Analytics, and Retail Management in the MBA, MS, and Undergraduate programs, respectively, and has won many teaching awards. She was named one of the “10 Best UMD Professors” by the College Magazine in 2017.
Shi, Savannah Wei and Jie Zhang (2014), “Usage Experience with Decision Aids and Evolution of Online Purchase Behavior,” Marketing Science, 33 (6), 871-882.
Winner, MSI-ACR “Shopper Marketing” Research Proposal Competition 2010.
Zhang, Jie and Els Breugelmans (2012), “The Impact of an Item-Based Loyalty Program on Consumer Purchase Behavior,” Journal of Marketing Research, 49 (February), 50-65.
Ailawadi, Kusum L., Jie Zhang, Aradhna Krishna, and Michael W. Kruger (2010), “When Wal-Mart Enters: How Incumbent Retailers React and How This Affects Their Sales Outcomes,” Journal of Marketing Research, 47 (August), 577-593.
Paul Green Award finalist, for the best article published in JMR in 2010.
Zhang, Jie, Michel Wedel, and Rik Pieters (2009), “Sales Effects of Attention to Feature Advertisements: A Bayesian Mediation Analysis,” Journal of Marketing Research, 46 (October), 669-681.
Zhang, Jie and Michel Wedel (2009), “The Effectiveness of Customized Promotions in Online and Offline Stores,” Journal of Marketing Research, 46 (April), 190-206.
Paul Green Award finalist, for the best article published in JMR in 2009.
Zhang, Jie and Aradhna Krishna (2007), “Brand-Level Effects of Stockkeeping Unit Reductions,” Journal of Marketing Research, 44 (November), 545-559.
Pieters, Rik, Michel Wedel, and Jie Zhang (2007), “Optimal Feature Advertising Design under Competitive Clutter,” Management Science, 53 (11), 1815-1828.
Zhang, Jie (2006), “An Integrated Choice Model Incorporating Alternative Mechanisms for Consumers’ Reactions to In-Store Display and Feature Advertising,” Marketing Science, 25 (3), 278-290.
Wedel, Michel and Jie Zhang (2004), “Analyzing Brand Competition across Subcategories,” Journal of Marketing Research, 41 (November), 448-456.
Zhang, Jie and Lakshman Krishnamurthi (2004), “Customizing Promotions in Online Stores,” Marketing Science, 23 (4), 561-578.
Honors and Awards
- Named one of the “10 Best UMD Professors” by the College Magazine, 2017.
- Allen J. Krowe Award for Teaching Excellence, Smith School of Business, 2017.
- ADVANCE Professor, Smith School of Business, 2016-2017 academic year
- Faculty Fellow, Informs ISMS Doctoral Consortium, Fudan University, China, 2016
- Faculty Fellow, Informs ISMS Doctoral Consortium, Johns Hopkins University, 2015
- AMA-Sheth Foundation Doctoral Consortium Faculty Fellow, 2014
- #26 on the AMA DocSIG top “Author Research Productivity in Premier AMA Journals” list (2009-2013)
- #30 on the AMA DocSIG top “Author Research Productivity in Premier AMA Journals” list (2008-2012)
- Allen J. Krowe Award for Teaching Excellence, Smith School of Business, 2011.
- Paul Green Award, finalist, Journal of Marketing Research, 2011.
- Paul Green Award, finalist, Journal of Marketing Research, 2010.
- Outstanding Reviewer Award, Journal of Marketing, 2010.
- Winner, Marketing Science Institute-ACR “Shopper Marketing” Research Proposal Competition, 2010.
- Harvey Sanders Professorship, Smith School of Business, 2008- present.
- Top 15% Teaching Award, Smith School, 2006-2007, 2007-2008, 2008-2009, 2009-2010, 2010-2011, 2011-2012, 2012-2013.
- University of Maryland General Research Board Award, 2007.
- Marketing Science Institute Research Grant, 2002-2003.
- Procter & Gamble Marketing Innovation Research Award, 1998-99.
- Haring Doctoral Symposium Faculty Representative, 2001.
- AMA-Sheth Foundation Doctoral Consortium Fellow, 1998.