Smith Promotes Leadership with Corporate Partners
You might not think of yourself as a leader, but BB&T CEO Kelly King insists you are. “The question is: Are you going to be a good leader or a bad leader?”
King explained to the students, faculty, staff and guests at his CEO@Smith presentation on Nov. 6, 2013, that while you may not always be in a leadership role, you can still be a leader to others.
“As a leader, you are a teacher. Your primary job is to get those people to believe what you believe. And whether you are there or not, they will behave accordingly because they believe it is the right thing to do.”
He explained that everyone is the CEO of his or her own company: “yourself. You get to decide how you live your life. You can choose to choose how happy and successful you want to be,” King said. People who are great personal CEOs:
- Believe “to their toes” in what they are trying to accomplish, no matter what that may be.
- Commit the time, energy and resources to make their goals happen.
- Train to have the skills to accomplish their goal.
- Enjoy the journey. “Not a one of us can change yesterday and not a one of us has tomorrow promised.”
- Have an enthusiastic and positive attitude to overcome obstacles and focus on their purpose in life.