Selection of Members
The application and selection process is conducted each academic year between December and February. A recruiting presentation is provided each fall by current Fund members, providing an overview of the Fund, involvement criteria and an application timeline.
Benefits to Students
"The practical lessons learned actually managing a portfolio not only reinforce academic experience but differentiate Maryland MBAs from other students as they interview for Wall Street." — John Boyle, Managing Director, ThinkEquity Partners LLC.
The Mayer Fund is a year-long, advanced finance seminar for second-year full-time MBA students. The seminar provides them with the opportunity to apply what they have learned in finance classes to actual investment decisions, and to enhance their skills and knowledge in this area. As part of their training, the students discuss a variety of topics in the seminar including:
- Portfolio management theory and practice
- Security screening and selection
- Economic and industry analysis
- Corporate qualitative and financial analysis
- Valuation analysis
- Trading strategies
Additionally, students learn from reviewing the results of the decisions they make, determining which strategies to replicate and which strategies to avoid in the future.
Not only does the Mayer Fund provide MBA students with knowledge and skills to enhance their career opportunities, it also provides them with:
- Valuable industry contacts
- Guest membership in the Washington Society of Investment Analysts
- Market experience and opportunities to use industry tools, such as First Call, SDC, and DAIS databases
Former Mayer Fund members have put their skills and knowledge to work for a number of organizations, including: