ADVANCING WOMEN FACULTY, TRANSFORMING THE SCHOOL
The University of Maryland’s ADVANCE program, launched in 2010, is focused on improving work environments, retention and advancement of tenured and tenure-track women faculty in ways that improve the culture for all faculty. The Robert H. Smith School of Business supports and celebrates this mission.
SMITH ADVANCE PROFESSOR
ADVANCE professors at each college or school on campus are tasked with mentoring faculty and disseminating relevant information on policies and grant funding opportunities. The Smith ADVANCE professor for 2017-18 is Hui Liao, the Smith Dean’s Professor in Leadership and Management. Past ADVANCE Professors of the Smith School include:
- Jie Zhang
- Christine Beckman
- Wendy W. Moe
- Ritu Agarwal
- Rajshree Agarwal
- M. Susan Taylor
WOMEN LEADING RESEARCH
The Smith School faculty, in partnership with ADVANCE, celebrates Women’s History Month with daily summaries of business research led by women professors. Women Leading Research complements activities from the Smith School’s Office of Diversity Initiatives, including Women Leading Women. Research topics range from financial reporting quality to organizational justice. Papers on gender, diversity and inclusion include:
- Building Gender Inclusive Workplaces, by Kathryn M. Bartol
- Beating Crowdfunding Discrimination, by Jessica Clark
- Effects of Women in Senior Leadership, by Liu Yang
- Putting Women on the Board, by Waverly Ding
- Closing the Gender Pay Gap, by Margrét Bjarnadóttir
SMITH ADVANCE ACTIVITIES
Recent or scheduled ADVANCE activities at the Smith School include:
- Luncheon with the Dean, April 4, 2018. Smith School Dean Alexander Triantis will share updates on the state of the school and respond to questions.
- Negotiation Workshop, March 5, 2018. Smith School negotiation experts Vijaya Venkataramani and Rellie Derfler-Rozin will share tips with women faculty colleagues.
- ADVANCING Women, Dec. 11, 2017. Workshop on career growth strategies for professional-track women professors.
- ADVANCING Women, Nov. 17, 2017. Workshop on career growth strategies for women assistant professors.
- ADVANCING Teaching Excellence, Oct. 16, 2017. Workshop and general planning meeting for all women faculty.