Trained students provide marketing and website globalization support during a summer internship from early June to early August.
Students are advised and guided by Maryland Smith marketing faculty to ensure sound recommendations and quality work.
Students receive training from the U.S. Export Assistance Center and additional professional development resources from the Center for Global Business.
Potential projects for students include:
- Website optimization for international eCommerce
- Website tracking and analytics
- Search engine optimization
- Website localization (creating or enhancing a website for a specific country)
- Global social media strategy and analysis
Please note that this program does not include website translation.
Maryland companies can apply for the ExportMD grant to receive 2/3rds reimbursement for the fee and other costs related to the project.
Working with Student Interns
Many small to midsize companies have not had the experience of working with interns or building their own internship programs. Here are a few best practices for working with and supporting interns:
- Provide students with training and check-in points.
- Build a relationship with students through supervision and mentorship.
- Provide a reliable virtual platform (e.g. Zoom, Slack, Google, WebEx, etc.)
- Onboard interns how you would entry-level employees, with some additional support.
- Link students with the rest of the company to help build rapport with other colleagues.
Throughout the program, the Center for Global Business serves as a resource for companies and students new to navigating virtual internships.
Students and companies are encouraged to contact the center via email at email@example.com to discuss the program and get answers to questions.
The Global Marketing Virtual Internship program is funded in part by CIBE, a Title VI grant administered by the U.S. Department of Education.
One of the most rewarding and best events of the year has been our experience with the Global Marketing Virtual Internship Program. Alex and Tanu far exceeded our expectations. I was blown away by the quality of the candidates and each of their determination to make a difference. Our project was particularly challenging, and they never batted an eye. I only wish the program ran longer so that we could have begun incorporating some of their work while they were still serving as interns.