Do you believe that personal growth and success comes from a deep commitment to and a sustained investment in community, colleagues, teammates, family, and friends?
Through integrity, resilience, optimism, and giving back, character-driven leaders create an atmosphere where they and others live up to their highest potential.
NewDay USA recognizes the many meaningful ways University of Maryland students shape the world. In collaboration with the Ed Snider Center for Enterprise and Markets, NewDay USA invites you to apply for or to nominate a classmate to receive the NewDay USA Character Driven Leadership Award. The award is divided into three categories to recognize leaders who:
- Help an organization meet its goals for growth and change. The NewDay USA Character Driven Leader for Innovation has an optimistic, infectious vision for the vision for the future.
- Exhibit leadership through teamwork. The NewDay USA Character Driven Leader for Enterprise champions collaboration and creates positive outcomes for all the members of a team.
- Demonstrate personal development. The NewDay USA Character Driven Leader for Resilience embodies integrity and a growth mindset.
Who, What, How?
Four finalists will be selected for each category. Each category will have one winner who will receive a check in the amount of $1,200 USD. The remaining three finalists of each category will receive a check in the amount of $300 USD each. Finalists along with their families and friends will be honored at a banquet in March of 2018.
Sophomores and juniors enrolled in any major at the University of Maryland.
You need to have a minimum GPA of 3.0 are eligible for the award.
Deadlines and Schedule
- Deadline to apply is February 16, 2018.
- A committee of leaders from across the UMD campus will review applications.
- Finalists will be notified February 26, 2018.
- The award banquet will be held March 7, 2018, from 6 to 8 p.m. (location to be announced).
What You Need for the Application
To nominate someone, please fill out the nomination section of this form and provide person’s name and contact information. To apply, please fill out this application section of this form and be prepared to include the following:
- Self-reported GPA
- Essay: Who taught you about character-driven leadership? (250 words or less)
- Essay: How do your achievements fit with the award for which you are applying? (500 words or less)
- One letter or recommendation from someone who can speak to your leadership in light of the award category for which you are applying.
- A current version of your resume.
Please contact Beatriz Winn, Chair, NewDay USA Character Driven Leadership Award Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.