The Distinguished Speakers Series (DSS) presents the latest trends in international business and provokes conversation among undergraduate and graduate students, policy experts, and business executives alike. Stay tuned for DSS events in 2017.
DSS helps to meet this goal by providing influential figures to speak on the following topics, among others:
- Development in emerging markets
- Critical impediments to U.S. prosperity and appropriate policy responses
- How new economic powers affect U.S. business prospects
The DSS is supported by the Robert H. Smith School of Business Center for International Business Education and Research (CIBER), a grant provided by the U.S. Department of Education to foster international understanding and promote the ability for U.S. businesses to compete globally, and in particular, emerging markets.
Past speakers of the DSS series have included:
- Thomas Friedman, Author of Thank You for Being Late
- Gillian Henker, Chief Technology Officer and Co-Founder, Sisu Global Health
- Peter Karenge, President & Architect, BizSolutions 360 Inc.
- Bonny Musefano, Commercial Attache, Embassy of Rwanda
- Hulya Ulku, Senior Economist, Global Indicators Group, Development Economics, World Bank Group
- Rania Habiby Anderson, Founder of The Way Women Work and author of Undeterred: The Six Successful Habits of Women in Emerging Economies
- Kirsten Brecht Baker, CEO, Global Professional Search
- Rick Callaway, Global Supply Chain Australia Manager, Northrop Grumman
- Marc Melkonian, Business Development Manager, Defense and Security, Bechtel Corporation
- Lisa K. Hunt, Executive Vice President, International Services & Special Business Development, Charles Schwab & Co., Inc.
- Daniella Taveau, Global Regulatory and Trade Strategist, King & Spalding
- Mike Gill, Secretary of the Maryland Department of Commerce
- Shankar Venkateswaran, Chief of TATA Sustainability Group
- His Excellency Mohammed Jaham Al Kuwari, Qatari Ambassador to the United States
- Dr. Robie Samanta Roy, Vice President of Technology and Innovation, Lockheed Martin
- Dr. Moises Naim, Senior Associate, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace
- Christopher Schroeder, Entrepreneur and Author, Startup Rising
- Dr. Anil K. Gupta, Michael Dingman Chair in Strategy, Globalization and Entrepreneurship, University of Maryland
- Mikael Baker, Senior Project Manager, FHI 360
- Lana Bronipolsky, VP of Finance/CFO, MPOWER Financing
- Maurice Nick, Supply Planning Manager, Stanley Black & Decker