Expand your international customer base with the support of trained Maryland Smith students.
Trained students provide marketing and website globalization support during a summer internship from late May to early August.
Students are advised and guided by Maryland Smith marketing faculty to ensure sound recommendations and quality work.
Students will receive training from the U.S. Export Assistance Center and additional professional development resources from the Center for Global Business.
Potential projects for students include:
- Website optimization for international eCommerce
- Website tracking and analytics
- Search engine optimization
- Website localization (creating or enhancing a website for a specific country)
- Global social media strategy and analysis
Please note that this program does not include website translation.
Summer 2020 — $1,000
Maryland companies can apply for the ExportMD grant to receive reimbursement for the $1,000 fee and other costs related to the project. The Center for Global Business will match the fee paid by companies and direct those funds toward intern stipends.
The Maryland Global Virtual Internship program is funded in part by CIBE, a Title VI grant provided by the U.S. Department of Education.
Working with Student Interns
Many small to midsize companies have not had the experience of working with interns or building their own internship programs. Here are a few best practices on working with and supporting interns:
- Provide students with training and check-in points
- Build a relationship with students through supervision and mentorship
- Provide a reliable virtual platform (e.g. Zoom, Slack, Google, WebEx, etc.)
- Onboard interns how you would entry-level employees, with some additional support
- Link students with the rest of the company to help build rapport with other colleagues
Throughout the program, the Center for Global Business will serve as a resource for companies and students new to navigating virtual internships.
If you are a Maryland Smith student interested in participating in the program, learn more. Students and companies are encouraged to contact the center directly to discuss the program and get answers to your questions. Download flier.