CGB Welcomes New Maryland
Department of Commerce Secretary
Wednesday, March 27, 2019
Frank Auditorium, Van Munching Hall
College Park, Md.
Join the Center for Global Business as they host a conversation with Secretary Kelly Schulz of the Maryland Department of Commerce and CGB’s Executive Director, Rebecca Bellinger. The conversation will focus on Secretary Schulz’s career path, the goals of commerce in the context of global trade, international investment and trade and industry in Maryland, and women in (international) business.
Participate remotely at go.umd.edu/DSSWomens2019LIVE.
Global Competencies for the 21st Century Workplace
February 11, 2019
The Center for Global Business hosted a panel discussion on Global Competencies for the 21st Century Workplace. Smith School alumni discussed the importance of a global mindset in today's business environment. The panel discussion was moderated by CGB's executive director Rebecca Bellinger.
Alumni Panelists included:
- Rocio Holub ’04, Senior Manager, Global Operations, DAI Global
- Rashida Petersen ’03, CEO and Founder, 1847 Philanthropic
- Jason Siesko ’98, Head of Education Consulting Delivery Americas, SAP
Global Economic Outlook for 2019
February 4, 2019
A one-on-one discussion on the Global Economic Outlook for 2019 and beyond. Erik Peterson, Partner and Managing Director, of AT Kearney’s Global Business Policy Council talks about their newest report, “On Thin Ice,” the outlook on the international economy over the next four years. The discussion was hosted by CGB’s academic director Kislaya Prasad.
About the Distinguished Speakers Series
The Distinguished Speakers Series (DSS) presents the latest trends in international business and provokes conversation among undergraduate and graduate students, policy experts, and business executives alike.
The DSS helps to meet this goal by providing influential figures to speak on the following topics, among others:
- Development in emerging markets
- Critical impediments to U.S. prosperity and appropriate policy responses
- How new economic powers affect U.S. business prospects
The DSS is supported by the Robert H. Smith School of Business Center for International Business Education (CIBE), a grant provided by the U.S. Department of Education to foster international understanding and promote the ability for U.S. businesses to compete globally, and in particular, emerging markets.
Read about 2018 DSS events
September 13, 2018
Tariffs and Trade Wars with The Trade Guys
October 18, 2018
Center for Global Business hosts US-ASEAN relations discussion
Past speakers of the DSS series have included:
- Thomas Friedman, Author of Thank You for Being Late
- Gillian Henker, Chief Technology Officer and Co-Founder, Sisu Global Health
- Peter Karenge, President & Architect, BizSolutions 360 Inc.
- Bonny Musefano, Commercial Attache, Embassy of Rwanda
- Hulya Ulku, Senior Economist, Global Indicators Group, Development Economics, World Bank Group
- Rania Habiby Anderson, Founder of The Way Women Work and author of Undeterred: The Six Successful Habits of Women in Emerging Economies
- Kirsten Brecht Baker, CEO, Global Professional Search
- Rick Callaway, Global Supply Chain Australia Manager, Northrop Grumman
- Marc Melkonian, Business Development Manager, Defense and Security, Bechtel Corporation
- Lisa K. Hunt, Executive Vice President, International Services & Special Business Development, Charles Schwab & Co., Inc.
- Daniella Taveau, Global Regulatory and Trade Strategist, King & Spalding
- Mike Gill, Secretary of the Maryland Department of Commerce
- Shankar Venkateswaran, Chief of TATA Sustainability Group
- His Excellency Mohammed Jaham Al Kuwari, Qatari Ambassador to the United States
- Robie Samanta Roy, Vice President of Technology and Innovation, Lockheed Martin
- Moises Naim, Senior Associate, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace
- Christopher Schroeder, Entrepreneur and Author, Startup Rising
- Anil K. Gupta, Michael Dingman Chair in Strategy, Globalization and Entrepreneurship, University of Maryland
- Mikael Baker, Senior Project Manager, FHI 360
- Lana Bronipolsky, VP of Finance/CFO, MPOWER Financing
- Maurice Nick, Supply Planning Manager, Stanley Black & Decker