At Smith, we encourage our students to be proud of who they are. We work alongside the University to provide students with a welcoming, encouraging, and engaging environment fueled by community outreach and support. LGBT Terps will find a diverse array of opportunities to engage with students, staff and faculty in way that not only support their personal and professional growth, but also celebrate their identity. Smith students are encouraged to develop networks of interconnected communities that thrive by working together to make the University of Maryland --and the world-- a better place. –Jason DeSanto Jones, Undergraduate Academic Advisor
The Smith Pride Alliance (SPA) is an affinity group for the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer+ (LGBTQ+) MBA and Specialty Masters Students and their Allies at the Robert H. Smith School of Business.
Club President: Matthew Harrop
- Hear My Story Diversity Event
- Pride Social
- Volunteer work with LGBTQ+ homeless shelter
Executive Board: David Eber, Kem Golding, Daniel Lui
- Welcome to Smith Reception
- Pride Week (April)
- National Coming Out Day
- Alumni Networking Night
- Resume and Cover Letter Review Night
- Corporate Networking Events
Theta Pi Sigma Frarority - Founded in 2013, The University of Maryland’s Epsilon Chapter of Theta Pi Sigma (the world’s first queer gender neutral fraternity) is the first frarority on the East coast. For more information on how to join, visit Theta Pi Sigma’s website here.
- Out for Work Conference
- Reaching Out MBA Conference
- One Project Orientation Event
- Queer Camp - A leadership retreat for first year and transfer students focused on community building, campus engagement, identity building, and campus support.
- Lavender Convocation and Graduation
- OUTburst, a powder paint war to raise awareness and funds for the Whitman Walker Foundation
- Speed Dating
- Students can earn a minor or a certificate in LGBT studies
- Story Circle – a one-credit course for those who have attended Queer Camp to discuss the leadership retreat
- Rainbow Terps training program
- LGBT Equity Scholarship - The LGBT Equity Scholarship is an annual award presented by the LGBT Equity Center at the end of each academic year.