5th Annual Smith School Business Summit
Success in a VUCA World:
Leading in Volatile, Uncertain, Complex, Ambiguous Times
October 28, 2016
Omni Shoreham Hotel
2500 Calvert St NW
Washington, DC 20008
The Fifth Annual Smith School Business Summit (SSBS) will be held on Friday, October 28, 2016, at the Omni Shoreham Hotel - 2500 Calvert Street, N.W., in Washington, D.C. 20008.
Each year, the event kicks off with a keynote address, followed by a series of panel discussions moderated by faculty from the University of Maryland’s Robert H. Smith School of Business on a variety of relevant topics. The day concludes with a catered networking reception.
This year’s theme is: Success in a VUCA World: Leading in Volatile, Uncertain, Complex and Ambiguous Times. Our keynote speaker is David Williams, CEO of Merkle Inc., a leading customer relationship marketing agency that has counted Dell, GEICO and the American Heart Association among its clients.
This year’s panel topics focus on various aspects of disruption and innovation:
BREAKOUT SESSION #1:
- Innovating to Win in Emerging Markets (Moderated by Anil K. Gupta, Smith School’s Michael D. Dingman Chair in Strategy and Entrepreneurship)
- Listening to the Quietest Voice in the Room (Moderated by Jeff McKinney, President, The Angkor Group)
- Playing at the Cutting Edge Without Getting Hurt (Moderated by Oliver Schlake, Smith School clinical professor of management and organization)
BREAKOUT SESSION #2:
- I, Human: Rise of the Creativity Machines (Moderated by Jonathan Aberman, Smith School adjunct professor of entrepreneurship and strategy)
- Now What? Converting Data into Insights (Moderated by Wendy W. Moe, Smith School professor and academic director, MS in Marketing Analytics)
- Swimming with the Fintechs and Regulators (Moderated by Clifford Rossi, Smith School professor of the practice and executive-in-residence)
SSBS continues its tradition of bringing together students, business leaders, faculty and alumni in a mini-conference style event to share insights on current trends and strategies in the business world. The forum presents a great opportunity to exchange thought leadership between Smith and the regional business community.
The Smith School Business Summit is hosted by the Office of Career Services.
Business Summit Speaker Shares Three Keys for Workplace 2025
Meeting current customer demands won’t be enough in 2025, keynote speaker Calvin G. Butler Jr. said on Nov. 13, 2015, at the fourth annual Smith School Business Summit in Baltimore. About 500 faculty, staff, students, and working professionals attended the event, organized by the Office of Career Services at the University of Maryland’s Robert H. Smith School of Business. Following Butler’s comments, Smith School professors moderated 11 panels focused on different aspects of “Workplace 2025.” Overall, the panels featured 45 business leaders from 40 companies.