2013-2014 SENBET FUND MEMBERS
Selection of Members
Member application and selection is conducted each spring for the following academic year. Click here to see the latest recruiting presentation.
Applications for the 2014-2015 Senbet Fund team are open from January 2, 2014 through February 10, 2014. Application requirements and information on the application process are provided below.
The Senbet Fund is a year-round, advanced finance course for senior finance majors. The course provides them with the opportunity to put their knowledge and skills to the test by making real investment decisions with real money. The course not only serves as a chance to put classroom material to practice, but also as an enhanced forum for learning. As part of this course, students discuss in-depth financial topics such as:
- Portfolio management theory and practice
- Security screening and selection
- Economic and industry analysis
- Corporate qualitative and financial analysis
- Valuation analysis
- Trading strategies
Additionally, students learn from reviewing the results of the decisions they make, determining which strategies to replicate and which strategies to avoid in the future.
The Senbet Fund provides members with skills and knowledge highly coveted by corporate recruiters. However, it also gives these high achieving students enhanced opportunities to network with industry professionals, use financial tools such as Reuters, Bloomberg, and First Call, and gain real-life market experience. Working for the Senbet Fund, in some ways, can be as demanding as a senior finance major’s first job, and it definitely gives him or her a competitive edge during recruiting season.
- Must be a declared Finance major.
- Must be a rising senior.
- Completion or concurrent enrollment in BMGT 343 Investments for this Spring semester.
- Minimum 3.00 cumulative GPA.
- Completion of the Smith School gateway courses: MATH 220/140, BMGT 220, 221, 230, ECON 200 & 201.
- BMGT 340 should be completed prior to entering the program and BMGT 443 should be completed the Fall semester of your senior year.
- Recommended courses: BMGT 310, ECON 305/306, and ECON 330.
- While completion of MATH 220 Elementary Calculus I is required, MATH 140 & 141 Calculus I and II are preferred. MATH coursework beyond MATH 220/141 is a plus.
- Preferred/Recommended Course sequence: Junior year Fall: BMGT 340, ECON 330, BMGT 310 Junior year Spring: BMGT 343, One of ECON 305 or 306 Senior year Fall: BMGT 443 and BMGT 449 (Fellows fund course).
- Requires a two semester commitment from Summer Session II to May of next year.
- Completion of online application.
Applications for the 2013-2014 Senbet Fund team are open from January 2, 2014 through February 10, 2014.
All applications will be submitted online. The application includes the submission of the following:
- Cover letter
- 3-page analyst report to include the analysis of a stock with a recommendation of whether to buy, hold or sell the stock based solely on its current price relative to what you believe the stock is worth. This report is to be no more than three typed pages, not including exhibits, double spaced in Times New Roman 12 point font. The written analysis should include an economic overview, industry overview and company overview, including your recommendation. Each section of the report should be written within the context of the stock you have chosen to analyze. It is highly recommended that you select a company and industry with which you feel comfortable. Please note that the Honor Code will be enforced for this application.
- Applications Open: January 2, 2014
- Applications Due: February 10, 2014
- Notified of Selection for Interviews: February 12-13, 2014
- Super Friday Interviews: Friday, February 14, 2014