The Smith Global Consulting Fellows program is designed for students who have an interest in the world’s people and cultures and a desire to apply business and language skills to enhancing economic development worldwide and helping others succeed. The goals of the Global Consulting Fellows program are:
- Developing global awareness and appreciation for the world’s business cultures, and cultural competencies for students seeking to work in the global/consulting arena, whether for U.S. firms or for companies and agencies abroad.
- Providing instruction and practice in business consulting concepts and methods in international contexts.
Students in Global Consulting Fellows will study intercultural issues in global management and learn skills in group research and consulting through two courses: Cross-cultural Challenges in Business, and Practicum in Global Consulting. Students will work in teams to conduct research and develop feasible business ideas which contribute to business, social and economic development, especially in emerging economies.
Dr. Pat Cleveland is the Faculty Champion for this program.
Curriculum – one-year program
- BMGT 364 (Management and Organization Theory) - Pre-requisite; may be taken concurrently with BMGT463F
- BMGT 463F (Cross-cultural Challenges in Business) - Fall
- BMGT 468P (Fellows Program Practicum in Global Business) - Spring
- COMM 107 or equivalent highly recommended
Because you will be working on a team on a consulting project in both fall and spring, it's not possible to participate in a semester-long study abroad program the year you are in Global Consulting Fellows. Short-term trips are highly encouraged to deepen your global perspective.
Co-Curricular Activities & Events
- Diversity Roundtable Workshop in partnership with UMD’s Office of MulticulturalInvolvement & Student Advocacy
- Site visits to Thai Embassy and State Department
- Global Consulting Fellows Alumni Networking Reception
- Guest speakers from World Bank and State Department
- Short-term study abroad to meet with global consulting clients (as available)
Fellows Program Eligibility
- Open to all Business majors; Management or International Business majors preferred (You may also apply if you are applying to Smith for 2015-2016.)
- Preference for those with double-major or minor in foreign language or demonstrated fluency
- Rising junior or senior; advanced-standing sophomores with BMGT core completed will be considered
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
Applications for Global Consulting Fellows for the 2015 academic year are open January 5-February 9 at 11:59pm.
Access the application here by using your UMD Directory ID and Password.
The application requires you to upload a cover letter (explain why you want to be in this program and what you hope to gain from participating) and a resume.
Questions? Contact Emily Doane Heavin (firstname.lastname@example.org).