The Smith Global Consulting Fellows program is designed for students who have an interest in the world’s people and cultures and a desire to apply business and language skills to enhancing economic development worldwide and helping others succeed. The goals of the Global Consulting Fellows program are:
- Developing global awareness and appreciation for the world’s business cultures, and cultural competencies for students seeking to work in the global/consulting arena, whether for U.S. firms or for companies and agencies abroad.
- Providing instruction and practice in business consulting concepts and methods in international contexts.
Students in Global Consulting Fellows will study intercultural issues in global management and learn skills in group research and consulting through two courses: Cross-cultural Challenges in Business, and Practicum in Global Consulting. Students will work in teams to conduct research and develop feasible business ideas which contribute to business, social and economic development, especially in emerging economies.
Dr. Pat Cleveland is the Faculty Champion for this program.
Curriculum – 1-year program
- BMGT 364 (Management and Organization Theory) - Pre-requisite; may be taken concurrently with BMGT463F
- BMGT 463F (Cross-cultural Challenges in Business) - Fall
- BMGT 468P (Fellows Program Practicum in Global Business) - Spring
- COMM 107 or equivalent highly recommended
Co-Curricular Activities & Events
- Intercultural communication and negotiation workshop
- Site visits to embassies, global firms located in Baltimore/D.C.
Fellows Program Eligibility
- BMGT majors - Management or International Business majors preferred, but all BMGT majors encouraged to apply. (You may also apply if you are applying to Smith for 2014-2015.)
- Preference for those with double-major or minor in foreign language or demonstrated fluency
- Junior standing – advanced-standing sophomores with BMGT core completed will be considered
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
The priority application deadline for Global Consulting Fellows was February 10. There are a few remaining spots intended for transfer students. Applications are due at 11:59pm on May 4.
Access the application here. Note: You cannot save and go back to your application, so have your resume and cover letter explaining your interest in Global Consulting Fellows ready to upload.
Questions? Contact Emily Doane (firstname.lastname@example.org).