The Emerging CFOs program is for students interested in corporate finance and investment banking. ECFOs provides in-depth analysis of corporate finance aspects of finance and provides students with enhanced leadership and communication skills.
In addition to traditional courses taken by all finance majors, students in this program will take a dedicated Fellows section of Financial Management, BMGT440F. This section brings in corporate speakers and includes an in-class case competition.
As part of the ECFO Finance Fellows program, students consult with a local company over the semester. Last spring's company was greeNEWit, a Columbia, MD, energy audit company. Student teams advised the firm's CEO about obtaining financing to fuel the firm's expected growth. This kind of consulting can be very positive on a resume, and generally something that employers will be interested in talking about.
Dr. Sue White is the Faculty Champion for this program.
Click here for Fellows student testimonial.
Curriculum: one-year program
- BMGT340 (Business Finance) - Sophomore year or Fall of Junior year
- BMGT313F (Financial Statement Analysis) - Fall
- BMGT440F (Financial Management) - Spring
- Mentoring program with with professionals in the field
- Case competition
- Finance Fellows Speaker Series
- Site visits
Students are required to attend Finance Fellows Networking Night in the Fall plus two other co-curricular events as approved by the Finance Fellows team.
Fellows Application Eligibility
- Must be a Finance Major. (You may apply if you are in the process of applying to Smith as a transfer student, but Fellows admission would be contingent upon admission to the Smith School, College Park).
- Rising juniors or seniors may apply.
- Grade of B- or better in BMGT340 (may complete either spring semester at time of application or fall semester. Admission is provisional contingent upon satisfactory completion of BMGT340).
The priority deadline for ECFOs Fellows was February 8; however, we have re-opened the application to accommodate transfer students. Current Smith students who missed the deadline may also apply.
Apply here by June 29 at midnight.
- Online application form.
- Cover letter – Explains why you want to be a part of this program, what you can bring to the program, and what you hope to gain from participating. (Address to faculty champion.)
Questions? Contact Emily Heavin at email@example.com.