Design literacy, the ability to identify and appreciate good design, is fundamental to business strategy. The connection of design to marketing is inextricably bound, with design making the difference between success and failure between one company and its competitor. The Design and Innovation in Marketing Fellows Program bridges the gap between marketing research and theory and the realization of well-designed applications.
The program curriculum and co-curricular activities are designed to produce business leaders who can make strategically sound and creative design decisions. Design Fellows will master the creative problem-solving and innovative-thinking skills and experiences along with marketing strategy and design techniques needed to be competitive in today’s job market (including design and brand management). This program is intentionally interdisciplinary, with mutual benefit to be gained by collaboration between marketing students and design students in developing creative business solutions.
Mary Harms is the Faculty Champion for this program.
Curriculum: two-year program
- BMGT458A Design and Innovation in Marketing (fall of junior year)
- BMGT458Q Special Topics in Marketing: Computer Graphics Workshop (fall of junior year)
- BMGT458B Design Applications in Marketing and Branding (fall of senior year)
- BMGT350 Principles of Marketing (fall of junior year if not before)
- D.C. Advertising Week Speaker series
- Site visits and field trips
- Optional practicum
- Optional internship
- Optional international study trip
Fellows Application Eligibility
- Must be a marketing major or art design major. (Note: Students will be selected by faculty teams in marketing and in art. Art students will be chosen on the basis of their portfolio submissions, as part of their declaration of the art design major.)
- Rising juniors may apply
- Minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA
Applications for Design and Innovation in Marketing Fellows for the 2015- 2016 academic year are open January 5- February 9 at 11:59 p.m.
Access the application here by using your UMD Directory ID and password.
Please note that you cannot save and go back to your application, so you should have your cover letter (explain why you want to be in this program and what you hope to gain from participating) and resume ready to upload.
Design Fellows Essay: Please write on the role design has played in your life, why you want to be in this particular Fellows program, and what you would like to do with your Design Fellows knowledge and experience after graduation. 2-3 pages, double-spaced.
Questions? Contact Emily Doane Heavin (email@example.com).