Students in the Business Analytics Fellows Program will:
- Develop awareness of the descriptive, predictive and prescriptive perspectives comprising Business Analytics. They will learn how to analyze and evaluate what has happened in the past in order to predict future outcomes and prescribe an optimal course of action, thus allowing an organization to gain a competitive advantage.
- Develop expertise in applying Business Analytics to aproblem by viewing it as quantifiable and thus solvable.
- Develop proficiency in using leading software packages.
- Increase communication skills by effectively presenting results from analysis of real-lifescenarios.
- Provide outstanding recruiting opportunities for sponsoring firms and a recruiting edge to students with an understanding of general business and strong Business Analytics skills.
Dr. Frank Alt, Associate Professor, DOIT Department, is the faculty champion for this program.
Curriculum: one-year program
- BMGT 430F (Linear Statistical Models in Business) Fall
- BMGT 435(Business Process Simulation) Fall or Spring
- BMGT 431(Data Analytics) Spring
- Please Note: Either BMGT430 or 435 (but not both) may be completed prior to entering the program. So students entering this program must complete at least one of the required courses (BMGT430 or BMGT435) in the Fall semester (first semester in the Business Analytics Fellows Program). In addition, BMGT430 must be completed prior to taking BMGT431 Data Analytics.
BA Fellows are required to participate in:
- Smith-IBM Joint Analytics Workshop – spring
- OM night - fall
- Seminars by corporate speakers – to be determined
Fellows Application Eligibility
- BMGT majors (You may also apply if you are applying to Smith for 2014-2015.)
- Minimum: 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Grade of B+ or higher in BMGT230 or equivalent course
- Rising seniors and juniors may apply
The Business Analytics Fellows application for 2014-2015 is closed. Applications will open January 5, 2015 for participation in Fellows for 2015-2016.
Questions? Contact Emily Doane Heavin (firstname.lastname@example.org).