Business Analytics “is a process that refers to the use of skill-sets, technologies, applications and practices for continuous, iterative exploration and investigation of past business performances” (Jane Griffin, March 2010).
The availability of massive amounts of data has created the need for Business Analytics professionals who can analyze such data and obtain the insight needed for informed decision making. This allows an organization to gain a competitive edge in today’s dynamic business environment. The Minor integrates technology with statistical and quantitative modeling techniques to provide students with the foundation needed for data driven decision making, as well as for graduate study in the field of Business Analytics. Students with these skills are in high demand in a variety of industries and sectors including marketing, finance, information systems, operations, health care and energy.
Equipped with a solid technical foundation in data analysis and model-driven management decision making, graduates of the minor will be prepared for successful careers in this growing field.
For more information, please contact Melanie Ashton at email@example.com.
The Business Analytics Minor Application for 2016-2017 academic year is now open!
Apply here via the minor online application form by February 15 @ 11:59 p.m.
All University of Maryland, College Park undergraduate students with an interest in massive data, holding 30 credits or more are encouraged to apply to the Business Analytics minor.
The Business Analytics Minor at Smith opens applications each Spring. Students who wish to add the minor should do so at least one year prior to graduation. Those applying to the program will provide general information, answer essay questions, and submit the contact information of a University of Maryland, College Park Faculty member to provide a recommendation.
- To apply students must complete the minor online application form. Applications are due by midnight on February 15, 2016.
- Letter of Recommendation: Applicants are required to provide one academic letter of recommendation from a faculty or graduate T.A. Recommendations must be submitted via our online form go.umd.edu/barecommend by midnight on February 22, 2016.
- Course Plan: After completing your application applicants must submit a four semester course plan (download from website).
Minor Completion Requirements
In order to complete the minor, students must:
- Complete Pre-requisite credits.
- Complete all 15 required credits.
- Achieve a minimum grade of "C-" or better in all minor courses.
No more than six credits (or two courses) for the minor may be taken at an institution other than the University of Maryland, College Park. Furthermore, at least six upper division credits applied to the minor must be taken at this university. Download the minor curriculum plan.