Applicants must submit the following materials for consideration by the deadline of December 15.
We look forward to receiving your application for admission. Please visit the University of Maryland Graduate School Admissions website for complete application instructions. The following information should help you in properly completing your application for our specific programs.
All applicants are required to submit an application form, even if you are reapplying to the program. We strongly encourage all applicants to complete the online application form. Be sure to read the instructions before creating an account.
While some sections are self-explanatory, we ask that you note the following for these specific sections of the application:
- Term of Entrance: Fall 20--.
- College/School: Robert H. Smith School of Business
- Program of Study: Business and Management (BPHD)
- Degree: Ph.D.
- Upload your Statement of Purpose/Personal Statement here.
- Areas of Interest 1: Please choose from the 8 fields of study offered. You can only choose 1 area of interest. Should you want to apply to another field of study, you will need to complete another application.
Accounting and Information Assurance Organizational Behavior/Human Resource Management Finance Operations Management/Management Science Information Systems Strategic Management Marketing Supply Chain Management
- List previous education beginning with the bachelor's degree (as "School 1).
- Do not list any non-degree/certificate programs that do not offer transcript(s).
- Upload a scanned copy of the official transcript for each degree/institution listed.
- International transcripts: upload in one document/pdf both the original language transcript and the English translated version.
- Official transcripts may be required at a later time.
- If the program has just begun, provide a transcript showing the registered course work.
- Updated transcripts may be sent to the PhD Program Office if the application has already been submitted.
- If interested in our financial package, say "Yes" to be considered for a Graduate Assistantship or Fellowship.
- The Resume/CV is required.
- All other supplementary information is optional.
- Must provide 3 recommendation providers and their information.
- Upon submission of the application, applicants will be able to "renotify" recommenders.
- Any changes to the recommendation providers can be made by emailing the PhD Program Office.
All applicants must pay a US$75.00 non-refundable application fee to officially submit the on-line application. Applicants are responsible for paying this fee regardless of admissions decision, choice to enroll, or whether any other supporting materials have been submitted. Application fee waivers are monitored by the University of Maryland Graduate School.
All applicants must take and submit official score reports to the Graduate School for either the Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) or the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). Applicants' scores must be less than five years old as of the application deadline. Please be sure to
If you have not taken either of these tests within the last five years, we strongly encourage you to sign up early to ensure your score report is received from the Educational Testing Service (ETS) prior to the application deadline.
Institution Codes for Standardized Tests
Tips and extra information
At this time, uploaded scanned copies of official transcripts are sufficient for the application review process. Official transcripts may be requested (via email) at a later time or for further admission review.
All applicants must submit one brief essay to address the following topics:
- the professional goals and research interests, and
- the life experiences
Each applicant must submit three letters of recommendation. The selection committees prefer that recommendation letters be written by academics, but you may ask non-academic individuals to write letters as long as they can speak to your academic and research abilities.
Mailed in Application Material: Any application materials that will be mailed in by you (the applicant) should include this checklist as a cover sheet.
Residency Form: Any applicant wishing to be considered for In-state tuition, should visit the Residency Reclassification Services website.