Since Fall 2001 the University of Maryland, College Park's world class Robert H. Smith School of Business has enrolled students at The Universities at Shady Grove (Shady Grove). Shady Grove is an innovative partnership of nine University System of Maryland schools offering qualified transfer students, who have completed a two-year program, the opportunity to earn an undergraduate degree at the Shady Grove campus in Montgomery County. Today, over 300 full-time undergraduate students are enrolled in one of four business majors offered in the Robert H. Smith School of Business program at Shady Grove.
Each fall semester, admitted students enroll as part of a cohort group to major in Accounting, International Business, Management with a specialization in Entrepreneurship, or Marketing. Students complete their degree over four consecutive semesters as fulltime students and graduate with a Bachelor of Science degree. The program follows a cohort course format with a pre-set class schedule to assure students complete their degree in four consecutive semesters.
The Robert H. Smith School of Business is fully accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). Typically, successful applicants have completed a two-year Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree in business or related area, and/or have completed 60 college credits including several required gateway courses to enroll in our program as first semester college juniors.
Both the Shady Grove and College Park programs are Limited Enrollment Programs (LEP), with competitive admission requirements. Both the Shady Grove and College Park programs share the same outstanding faculty and offer state-of-the art classrooms, customized academic support, career advisement, and student leadership/engagement opportunities. Smith School Shady Grove students earn the same degree that Smith School students earn at College Park.
The gateway courses and earned credit minimum required for admission into the program at Shady Grove differ from those required at College Park. Since the Shady Grove program only offers junior/senior level courses, applicants must complete the admissions criteria listed below:
To be considered for admission to the Smith School at Shady Grove, applicants must complete the following admission requirements and the additional courses/requirements listed below:
- Minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA (preferred, may vary based upon the applicant pool)
- Earned a minimum of 45 credits.
Completion of Gateway courses, all with “C-“or better:
- BMGT 220 Principles of Accounting I
- MATH 220, 130 or 140 Calculus I
- BMGT2301 or 2312 (or equivalent) Business Statistics
In addition to the admission requirements above, it is expected that all students entering a Smith School major at Shady Grove will have completed 60 credits and successfully completed the following courses/requirements.
- All General Education requirements3 with the exception of Professional Writing
- Smith School’s Public Speaking Requirement
- BMGT221 Principles of Accounting II
- ECON200 Principles of Micro-Economics
- ECON201 Principles of Macro-Economics
1 The following courses are approved substitutes for BMGT230: ECON230, BIOM301, CCJS200, ECON321, EDMS451, GEOG306, PSYC200, and SOCY201.
2 The following courses are approved substitutes for BMGT231: ENCE302, ENEE324, ENME392, or STAT400.
3 University of Maryland General Education (or CORE if matriculated in Maryland community college prior to Fall 2012) requirements are explained at: http://www.gened.umd.edu/.
Co-curricular involvement, leadership experience and honors and awards will also be considered in the admission decision. Students are strongly encouraged to submit with their applications a resume and letter detailing their accomplishments and experience.
Application Deadlines for Transfer Students: The priority application and International applicant deadline is the 1st business day of March. The regular deadline is June 1st, and applications submitted after the deadline are considered only on a space available basis. The Robert H. Smith School of Business program at Shady Grove admits students ONLY in the Fall semester on a competitive and rolling basis and rolling admissions will continue until each major is filled.
Applications for the Smith School of Business at Shady Grove can be found here:www.admissions.umd.edu/apply/hobsons.cfm. Admission to the Robert H. Smith School of Business is competitive, as capacity in each Smith School major offered at Shady Grove is limited.
This site provides information specifically about the Smith School undergraduate program at Shady Grove. To learn more about The Universities at Shady Grove, please visit the USG Web site. All students interested in enrolling in the Robert H. Smith School Undergraduate Program at Shady Grove should attend a Smith Admission Workshop or Transfer Visit.
Prospective Student Information-Shady Grove
- Admission Standards for the Smith School of Business at Shady Grove
- Admission Application (both external and internal transfer applicants to the Smith School at Shady Grove must use the Application for Freshman or Transfer Admission - current UMD student may need to create a new account [PIN] to complete a new Application for Freshman or Transfer Admission)
- Transfer Guides & Course Sequence Guides
- Smith School at Shady Grove: Admission Workshops, Open Houses and Transfer Visits [PDF]
- The Universities at Shady Grove
Current Student Information-Shady Grove
- Advising & Resource Center (Announcements & Events)
- Download Degree Outlines by Major (Curriculum control sheets)
- FAQ's: Academic Policies; Registration & General Information [PDF]
- Dean's List