BUFN 738B – 3 Credits
The New Markets Venture Capital Clinic allows you to gain professional experience commensurate with that of an analyst or associate in a venture capital firm. You will be trained by members of New Markets Venture Partners, plus guest lecturers from the area’s leading venture and service firms. The course will expose you to real life activities covering the entire deal process from research, diligence, selection, negotiation and investment, as well as management and exit of portfolio companies. In addition to the training you will receive, you will be personally responsible for the conduct of several of these activities.
You will be required to spend 12 hours per week on this class (class time plus 10 additional hours) and register for two full semesters.
This course will be run like a venture capital firm with supplemental learning components. It will provide the students with the opportunity to learn about the venture capital process from the fund or investor perspective by acting as associates of the venture fund.
Students should leave the class with a clear understanding of the following:
- How to Think Like and Owner/Principal/Entrepreneur
- How to See Industry Pain Points and Opportunities
- How to Form an Investment Thesis and Identify Key Factors of Success of an Investment
- How to Perform Detailed Diligence on an Investment Opportunity
- Investment Term Sheet Drafting and Negotiation
- Financial Modeling and Valuation
- How a Board Member Assists a Company
- How to Add Value to a Portfolio Company
- How to Maximize the Value of Intellectual Property
- How to Finance a Company with Debt or Quasi-Equity
- Community Development and Socially Responsible Investing
- How to Achieve Liquidity of a Portfolio Company through IPO or Acquisition