BUSI 778 – 3 Credits
GLOBAL | CONSULTING
The CIBER MBA International Consulting Course is a semester-long, international consulting engagement with clients who have contracted with the Robert H. Smith School of Business and our partner schools abroad (such as ORT University and Universidad de Montevideo in Uruguay) to receive management consulting services. The course kicks off with a one-day boot camp in which students will be introduced to critical consulting skills. In addition, a week-long program – including site visits to International Regulatory, Finance and Trade Organizations in Washington, D.C. – will be offered for international partner school students, and will also be optional and available to students in the CIBER International MBA Consulting Course.
The CIBER international consulting projects are offered in collaboration with the partner universities abroad in order to enable students to work across cultures; this results in a fuller understanding of international consulting as well as the beliefs and values held by multiple stakeholders, which will also stimulate novel insights and solutions.
The consulting engagements may cover a broad spectrum of issues in both the traditional functional areas such as finance, marketing, strategy and human resource management, logistics and transportation, and information technology, as well as cross-functional projects investigating, for example, the impact of leading edge information technology on business processes and client relationships in electronic commerce and supply chain management.
The CIBER International MBA Consulting Course affords second year MBA students the opportunity to hone a wide range of skills in a "living case" environment. While working on cross-cultural and cross-functional teams, students will accomplish the following:
- Define the project goals, deliverables, timelines, and processes with input from the client and a faculty advisor.
- Conduct appropriate investigation and analysis using a “systemic” perspective to add value and maximize client satisfaction while maintaining the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct.
- Apply new concepts, tools and frameworks that are being taught in the MBA curriculum and bring to bear knowledge and skills from past work experience and prior education.
- Develop team building and leadership skills (in a partly virtual environment).
- Deliver oral and written reports to the client.