I am a Professor, and the Robert H. Smith Dean's Chair of
Information Systems, at the Smith School. I also founded, and am
the Director of the Center for Health Information and Decision
Systems (CHIDS). CHIDS, established in 2005, was the first
research center within a business school to study the use and
application of information technology in healthcare. More
information about CHIDS is available at (www.rhsmith.umd.edu/chids).
My current research is focused on understanding how
information technology can be used to alleviate cost and quality
challenges in healthcare, and with identifying mechanisms
through which IT can be successfully incorporated into
healthcare routines. I also study privacy issues and other
impediments and vulnerabilities in a digital society. I am
working on several funded research projects for major
corporations, hospitals, and state and federal agencies. My
research is funded by the FDA, the District of Columbia Primary
Care Association, and NIH/AHRQ.
Other current research projects include online social
networks, Health 2.0, and online search. I continue my work on
technological innovation, adoption, diffusion and use.
- "Online Physician Ratings by Patients:
The First Look at a Changing National Landscape,"
Journal of Medical Internet Research, in press,
(with G. Gao, J. McCullough, R. Agarwal, and A.K. Jha).
- "Information Technology and Voluntary Quality Disclosure by Hospitals,"
Decision Support Systems, in press,
(with C. M. Angst, R. Agarwal, G. Gao, J. Khuntia, and J. McCullough).
- "Effects of Individual Self-Protection, Industry Self-Regulation, and Government Regulation on Privacy Concerns: A Study of Location-Based Services",
Information Systems Research, in press,
(with X. Xu, H-H. Teo, B. Tan, and R. Agarwal).
- "Digitizing Healthcare: The Ability and Motivation of Physician Practices and Their Adoption of Electronic Health Record Systems",
Information Systems Research, in press,
(with A. Mishra, R. Agarwal, C. L. Anderson, C.M. Angst).
- "The Digitization of Healthcare: Boundary Risks, Emotion, and Consumer Willingness to Disclose Personal Health Information",
Information Systems Research,
(with C. L. Anderson, R. Agarwal).
- Co-Investigator, "Modeling and Optimizing Intensive-Care Unit Performance,"
research grant, Lockheed Martin, 2011-2012.
- Principal Investigator, Air Force Medical System/CTSA Collaboration
Workshop, AFMS, 2011.
- Co-Investigator, Office of the National Coordinator for Health IT HIE
Challenge Grant, Department of Health and Human Services, 2011-2012.
- Co-Investigator, Economic Modeling of ICU Operations, Lockheed Martin
- Co-Investigator, University of Maryland and NSF Advance Grant Program, 2011.
- Co-Investigator, "Development Methods from Other Industries to Inform the
Development of Consumer Health IT," AHRQ, 2010-2012.
- Co-Investigator. "Usability Toolkit for Electronic Health Records," AHRQ,
- Co-Investigator, "Development of a Model Electronic Health Record for
Children," AHRQ, 2010-2012.
- Principal Investigator, "Documenting Public Private Partnership Value,"
- Principal Investigator, "Developing a Cardiology Specific Electronic Health
Record," Maryland Industrial Partnerships Grant, 2009-2010.
- Principal Investigator, "Evaluation of the District of Columbia Regional
Health Information Organization, DC Department of Health," 2009-2011.
- Fellow of the Association of Information Systems, 2011.
- University of Maryland Distinguished Scholar-Teacher Award, 2011-2012.
- Best Paper Award at Information Systems Research, 2009 for "Marketspace or
Marketplace? Online Information Search and Channel Outcomes in Auto Retailing"
(with S. Gosain, J. Kuruzovich, and S. Viswanathan).
- G. Gao, B. Greenwood, J. McCullough, and R. Agarwal,
"The Digital Soapbox: The Information Value of Online Physician Ratings,"
Conference on Information Systems and Technology, INFORMS, Charlotte, NC, November 11-12, 2011.
- J. Khuntia, R. Agarwal, S. Mithas, and O. Lin,
"How Economic and Institutional Factors Affect Electronic Medical Records Adoption,"
Conference on Information Systems and Technology, INFORMS, Austin, TX, November 6-7, 2010.
- M. Lin, S. Viswanathan, and R. Agarwal,
"An Empirical Study of Contractual Relations in Online Software Outsourcing,"
The Sixth Symposium on Statistical Challenges in Ecommerce (SCECR 2010), Austin, TX, June 2010.
- P. E. Manicone, Z. Waldman, R. J. Kern, M. Sharron, S. Basu, J. Goh, G. Gao, R. Agarwal,
B. Jacobs, "Physician Documentation Quality: A Comparison of the Electronic and
Paper Medical Records for Completeness and Readability in a Tertiary Care Pediatric Medical Center",
Pediatrics Academic Societies’ Annual Meeting, Vancouver, May 1-4, 2010.
- "Unpacking the Health IT adoption paradox", Workshop on Information Systems
Economics (WISE), 2009 (with G. Gao, J. McCullough, C. Angst).
- "Online doctor ratings: meaning and application," International Health
Economics Association Conference (iHEA), 2009 (with G. Gao, and J. McCullough).
- "Health IT's impact on hospital efficiency and quality", International
Health Economics Association Conference (iHEA), 2009 (with J.M. Goh and G. Gao).