I am a Professor, and the Robert H. Smith Deanâ€™s Chair of
Information Systems, at the Smith School. I also founded, and am
the Director of the Center for Health Information and Decision
Systems (CHIDS). CHIDS, established in 2005, was the first
research center within a business school to study the use and
application of information technology in healthcare. More
information about CHIDS is available at (www.rhsmith.umd.edu/chids).
My current research is focused on understanding how
information technology can be used to alleviate cost and quality
challenges in healthcare, and with identifying mechanisms
through which IT can be successfully incorporated into
healthcare routines. I also study privacy issues and other
impediments and vulnerabilities in a digital society. I am
working on several funded research projects for major
corporations, hospitals, and state and federal agencies. My
research is funded by the FDA, the District of Columbia Primary
Care Association, and NIH/AHRQ.
Other current research projects include online social
networks, Health 2.0, and online search. I continue my work on
technological innovation, adoption, diffusion and use.
- â€œPropensity, Susceptibility, Infectiousness, and
Proximity: Predicting Organizational Diffusion of Electronic
Medical Recordsâ€, forthcoming, Management Science
(with C.M. Angst, V. Samabmurthy, and K. Kelley).
- â€œCognitive Frames about Health Information Technology: Adoption and
Effective Use of Electronic Prescribing in Physician Practices,â€
forthcoming, Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association
(JAMIA) (with C.M. Angst, C. DesRoches, and M. Fisher).
- â€œThe Value of IT-Enabled Retailer Learning: Personalized Product
Recommendations and Customer Store Loyalty in Electronic Markets,â€
forthcoming, MIS Quarterly (with T. Zhang and H.C. Lucas).
- â€œCompeting â€˜Creativelyâ€™ in Sponsored Search Markets: The Effect of
Rank, Differentiation Strategy, and Competition on Performance,â€ forthcoming,
Information Systems Research (with A. Animesh, and S. Viswanathan).
- â€œPracticing Safe Computing: A Multi-Method Empirical Examination of Home
Computer Use Security Intentions,â€ forthcoming, MIS Quarterly (with C.
- â€œThe Contingent Effects of Quality Signaling: Evidence from the Indian
Offshore IT Services Industry,â€ forthcoming, Management Science (with
G. Gao and A. Gopal)
- â€œTechnological Frames, Organizational Capabilities and Post-Adoption IT
Use: An Empirical Investigation of Electronic Procurement,â€ forthcoming,
Information Systems Research (with A.N. Mishra).
- Principal Investigator, â€œDocumenting Public Private Partnership Value,â€
- Principal Investigator, â€œDeveloping a Cardiology Specific Electronic
Health Record,â€ Maryland Industrial Partnerships Grant, 2009-2010.
- Principal Investigator, â€œEvaluation of the District of Columbia Regional
Health Information Organization, DC Department of Health, 2009-2010.
- Best Paper Award at Information Systems Research, 2009 for
â€œMarketspace or Marketplace? Online Information Search and
Channel Outcomes in Auto Retailingâ€ (with S. Gosain, J.
Kuruzovich, and S. Viswanathan).
- â€œPhysician Documentation Quality: A Comparison of the Electronic and Paper
Medical Records for Completeness and Readability in a Tertiary Care Pediatric
Medical Center", Pediatrics Academic Societiesâ€™ Annual Meeting, Vancouver, May
1-4, 2010 (with P. E. Manicone, Z. Waldman, R. J. Kern, M. Sharron, S. Basu, J.
Goh, G. Gao, and B. Jacobs).
- "Unpacking the Health IT adoption paradoxâ€, Workshop on Information
Systems Economics (WISE), 2009 (with G. Gao, J. McCullough, C. Angst).
- â€œOnline doctor ratings: meaning and application,â€ International Health
Economics Association Conference (iHEA), 2009 (with G. Gao, and J. McCullough).
- â€œHealth IT's impact on hospital efficiency and qualityâ€, International
Health Economics Association Conference (iHEA), 2009 (with J.M. Goh and G. Gao).
- â€œGenetic Information Altruists: How Far and To Whom Does Their Generosity
Extend?â€ 30th International Conference on Information Systems, Phoenix, AZ,
2009 (with C.L. Anderson).
- â€œInformation Technology and Life Expectancy: A Country Level Analysis,â€
30th International Conference on Information Systems, Phoenix, AZ, 2009 (with J.
Khuntia and S. Mithas).
- â€œImplementation of a Computerized Clinical Documentation System (CCDS) in
a Tertiary Care Pediatric Medical Center: A Longitudinal Survey of Users.â€,
Pediatrics Academic Societiesâ€™ Annual Meeting, Baltimore, May 2-5, 2009 (with
P. Manicone, C. Corriveau, J. Goh, G. Gao, and B. Jacobs).