Rafael A. Corredoira is Assistant Professor of Management & Organization at the Robert H. Smith School of Business at the University of Maryland. Professor Corredoira's research focuses on embedded exploration : how networks that originate from social ties, market dynamics, and institutional arrangements constrain and enable firms' entrepreneurial search for innovative solutions. His current research examines how semiconductor firms' search for innovations is shaped by their social networks, how social networks of wine and autopart firms drive upgrading capabilities in developing economies, and the evolution of efficiency frontiers in the treatment of addiction in the US. Professor Corredoira has also authored articles that have been published in many journals including Strategic Management Journal, Academy of Management Journal, Harvard Business Review, Journal of International Business Studies, and Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment.
Professor Corredoira received his PhD in Strategy and International Management from the Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania. Before embarking on his doctoral studies, he completed an MBA at Drexel University. He has 10 years of business experience at Compañía Bão, the largest and oldest household product firm in Uruguay, where, as CEO and COO, he led the firm in its technological reconversion, organizational restructuring, M&A, and foreign market expansion during the creation of MERCOSUR.
Primary Research Areas
- Social networks and their impact on Innovation and Knowledge Transfer,
- Strategic Management,
- Evolutionary Theory,
- Economic Development
Honors and Awards
- Best Paper Award and Doug Nigh Award Finalist - International Management Division, Academy of Management Conference, 2007
- The Academy of Management Best Paper Proceedings, IM division, 2007
- Research Grant, Mack Center for Technological Innovation, 2004-2007
- Corredoira, R. A. and L. Rosenkopf (2010) Should Auld Acquaintance Be Forgot? The Reverse Transfer of Knowledge through Mobility Ties, Strategic Management Journal 31 (2):159-181
- McDermott, G. A, R.A. Corredoira (2010) Network Composition, Collaborative Ties, and Upgrading in Emerging Market Firms: Lessons from the Argentine Autoparts Sector, Journal of International Business Studies 41, 308-329
- McDermott, G. A, R.A. Corredoira, and G. Kruse (2009) Recombining to Compete in Global Markets: How Public Policy Can Improve Upgrading in Emerging Market Societies, Academy of Management Journal, 52 (6): 1270-1296
- Rosenkopf, L, R.A. Corredoira (April 2008) What You Can Gain When You Lose Good People,Harvard Business Review, 86(4): 24-28
- Corredoira, R. A. and J. R. Kimberly (2006) Industry Evolution through Consolidation: Implications for Addiction Treatment, Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, Special Issue, 31: 255-265