May 25 - June 1, 2014
Think Amazing Race meets venture creation. The eight-day experience will take students from Hong Kong to Beijing. Along the way, students will earn points as we visit Chinese startups, multinational corporations, venture capital firms and cultural sites like the Great Wall and the Forbidden City. The challenge will culminate with a final competition at Peking University’s Guanghua School of Management. Students compete for cash prizes alongside peers from Smith, Guanghua and other Chinese business schools, and Technion-Israel Institute of Technology.
Read about the AdVENTURE Challenge: China in BizEd magazine.
- Develop a business model that is based in China or leverages Chinese resources and present it to expert judges for feedback for a chance at prizes
- Gain exposure to and interact with local VCs and entrepreneurs through company visits and group meals
- Learn the complexities of doing a startup in China
- Work in a cross-cultural team with Chinese students
- Compete against top US and Chinese MBA students in the final competition
- Experience the Chinese culture through completing fun challenges in Hong Kong and Beijing
- Learn about Chinese history through sightseeing tours
Course Information & Costs
- BUSI 788K:This 1-credit course is about developing and presenting new venture business models relevant to the Chinese market. It involves working with Chinese team members to develop a business idea using the business model canvas. Canvas presentations will occur in the US and in Beijing, China. Pitches will be based on a business problem. The course is required for participation in AdVENTURE Challenge: China. By registering for this course, you will automatically be registered for the two-credit global studies trip to Beijing and Hong Kong in May 2014 (Summer 1), led by the Dingman Center for Entrepreneurship.
- BUSI 798K: 2 credit course for China travel in May 2014.
- $2,250 program fee; $250 study abroad fee; and $40 CISI insurance fee. The program fee covers shared hotel room, in-country ground transportation, at least two dinners and cultural activities included in the itinerary.