The Center for Social Value Creation partners with student clubs at the undergraduate and graduate levels to empower student leaders with cutting-edge opportunities. We also provide coaching and support for case and business plan competitions. Have an idea for something we should be involved in? Send an e-mail and let us know! A representative selection of student clubs and competitions are featured below.
Clubs and Extracurricular
AshokaU Terp Changemakers (Graduate and Undergraduate)
In 2008, the University of Maryland was selected as the inaugural "Changemaker Campus" in partnership with Ashoka, a global association of leading social entrepreneurs. Since then the Terp Changemaker team, led by our Center and comprised of students from across the larger University of Maryland campus, has worked to create, refine, and strengthen social entrepreneurship teaching, research, and student engagement across campus. The Terp Changemakers’ vision is to create a movement at the University of Maryland where in all students recognize the relevance of social entrepreneurship approaches to their individual interest areas and passions. The club is open to all. For more information visit Terp Changemakers or send an email.
Net Impact at Smith offers two distinct chapters for both MBA and undergraduate students. The club serves as a hub for both academic and career-oriented activities related to developing a broader perspective of leadership and entrepreneurship. Through guest lecturers, student discussions, interactive workshops, and community volunteering members explore new business models and methods to exert a positive impact upon our environment. In 2011 the Graduate Student Net Impact Chapter achieved Gold Chapter standing, an honor bestowed on only 13 percent of the more than 180 graduate student chapters across the country.
Smith Energy Association (Graduate)
The Smith Energy Association (SEA) is composed of FTMBA, PTMBA, and EMBA Smith students with insight and interest in the energy industry. They aim to provide access to industry experts as well as networking opportunities within the Baltimore/D.C. greater metropolitan area. Smith MBA Energy Association seeks to educate and provide context for this next generation of leaders. At the crossroads of government regulation and massive infrastructure investment, the D.C. region is unparalleled for the opportunity it provides.
Emerging Markets Association (Graduate)
The Emerging Markets Association's (EMA) mission is to educate the campus community about the phenomenal growth of the private sector taking place in emerging economies. The EMA is committed to hosting events of interest to the MBA community by inviting distinguished faculty within Smith and leaders currently working at outside companies and organizations. Ultimately, the EMA seeks to provide a platform for education for those wishing to pursue careers in emerging markets.
Global Business Society (Undergraduate)
The Global Business Society (GBS) promotes the concerns of internationally-minded students at the University of Maryland in the areas of business through programs and events designed for their interests. It strives to increase international recruiting and spread awareness for international business through events such as employer presentations and international etiquette sessions.
Consult Your Community (Undergraduate)
The University of Maryland chapter of Consult Your Community is part of a nationwide, student-run nonprofit organization that empowers America’s top undergraduate students to leverage their knowledge of business with their passion for service. Students engage with low-income and minority-owned small businesses over the course of a semester through an innovative program in which they are trained to provide business owners with comprehensive, pro bono consulting services (teams are advised by business school faculty, graduate student mentors, and experienced professionals from top-tier consulting firms.
Business plan and case competitions centered on social responsibility, social entrepreneurship and sustainability are offered worldwide and present students with an opportunity to be recognized as leaders. We encourage students to develop or refine their business ideas and to sharpen their case writing skills by entering competitions.
The following is a partial list of opportunities sponsored by universities and other organizations. For more information on deadlines and registration eligibility, visit the official competition websites.
University of Maryland Competitions & Funding Opportunities
- 100k ACC Clean Energy Challenge
- Social Entrepreneurship Business Pitch
- MTech Impact Seed Fund
- University of Maryland Business Plan Competition, Social Impact Award
- Cupid’s Cup
- No Limits Social Impact Pitch Competition
Business Plan Competitions
- Advanced E-Team Grants
- Changemakers Competitions
- Dell Social Innovation Competition
- Elevator Competition for Social Entrepreneurship
- Global Social Entrepreneurship Competition
- Global Social Venture Competition
- I2P Competition for Social Entrepreneurship
- Pitch for Change
- Rice Business Plan Competition
- Sustainable Visions Grants
- Tulane Business Plan Competition
- Venture Challenge
- Wal-Mart Better Living Business Plan Challenge
- William James Foundation Socially Responsible Business Plan Competition
- Bid Challenge USA
- HItatchi Pioneer Employer Challenge*
- Leeds Net Impact Case Competition
- National Intercollegiate Business Ethics Competition
- Oikos Case Writing Competition
- Race & Case Competition
- Rotman Net Impact CSR Case Competition
- Hult Global Case Challenge*
- The Next: 2010 Case Writing Competition
- Emory Global Health Case Competition
- John Molson International Case Competition
- The George Washington University International MBA Case Competition
- Marshall International Case Competition
- KPMG’s International Case Competition
- AMA International Collegiate Case Competition
- Aspen Institute's Business & Society International MBA Case Competition
- Baylor Entrepreneurship Student Case Writing Competition
- Fisher Invitational - Sponsored by GE Capital
- KeyBank Foundation Minority MBA Case Competition
- IKEA International Case Competition
* Denotes a competition in which Smith students placed in top rankings
Know of a competition that is not listed here? Contact CSVC to add it.