Pre-Internship Course (1 credit) & Internship Course (6 credits)
OPEN TO ALL UMD MAJORS (SOPHOMORES-SENIORS)
Spend the summer of a lifetime working in Sydney, Hong Kong, Singapore, or Dublin at a for-credit guaranteed internship!
Students begin with a 1-credit pre-internship course Spring 2016 and then travel abroad for a 6-credit internship. Participants will experience first-hand the challenges and opportunities of working in another country and with people from different cultural backgrounds. Based in Sydney, Hong Kong, Singapore or Dublin, the internship program gives students an international experience that is invaluable for building their professional development and resumes, while supplementing their current course of academic study at the Smith School.
All majors are eligible, though some restrictions may apply to certain disciplines for internships. Please contact the Office of Global Initiatives for more information.
The pre-internship course will give students a solid foundation for working abroad. By the end of the class, students will have be equipped with tools work with people from different cultural backgrounds and succeed in a multitude of workplace environments.
Students will be placed in an eight-week unpaid internship with a company, organization, or government agency relevant to their academic and professional interest. Students are guaranteed a meaningful business internship placement, however, placements will vary based on:
- students' previous work and leadership experiences,
- quantity of core business courses completed, and
- interview confirming intellectual curiosity, personal maturity, and flexibility necessary for a successful work experience abroad.
Students will be placed in shared accommodations. Accommodations may vary across programs, but most will be in apartment-style residences.
March - May
1-credit Pre-internship course
June 6 - June 10*
Orientation and welcome activities on-site
June 13 - August 6
Guaranteed full=time internship
*Please note: These dates may change based on program adjustments and location-specific programming.
What else do you need to know?
THE COURSE PROGRAM FEE includes UMD tuition for 7 credits; lodging in shared accommodation; on-site support and orientation; costs for any mandatory academic and cultural excursions and/or activities; some group meals; professor and partner fees; UMD Education Abroad services; International health insurance.
Not included: personal expenses, most meals, optional trip insurance and international airfare (discounted group flight information will be provided). Students are responsible for obtaining and paying for their own visa.
PAYMENT OF THE PUBLISHED PROGRAM FEE is divided into three separate charges that are collected accordingly:
(1) A non-refundable $50 application fee payable online by credit card is due at the time of application.
(2) Upon acceptance into the program, a $250 non-refundable deposit payable online by credit card is due within 10 days or less. The exact due date of this deposit will be communicated when the student is accepted. Applicants understand that when he/she pays this deposit after being accepted into the program, it is deemed to be a commitment of participation. This deposit is non-refundable under any circumstances.
(3) The remaining balance will be due upon Education Abroad's registration of student into the program. This amount will appear on the student's account and will be payable before the end of the next billing cycle. See UMD's Education Abroad's website for other Refund and Withdrawal rules.
Any scholarship monies awarded by Smith will be credited to the student's account once the charge appears on his/her account. All efforts will be made to have the scholarship monies credited prior to payment due date.